kiev

Re: my Miev will not charge

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 am

i've had this happen several times, and found dirt and debris on the pins in the charge port. i cleaned it with alcohol and a cotton swab (there is no high voltage on the port pins), and it is fixed until the next time it happens--rinse and repeat... also cleaned out the socket terminals of the evse handle too. My car and evse is outside all the time.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Sbess

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:06 am

I brought it to a dealer and they said it is the on-board charger. The on-board charger stopped communicating with the rest of the car. It is over 5k to fix. The car is only worth 4.5k. Sadly I have said good bye to the Miev.

kiev

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:47 am

@Sbess, where abouts are you located?

Piev and i reverse engineered the TCCH/ Elcon chargers and have performed numerous modifications (# of cells, voltage levels) and repairs including replacing the microcontroller chip and loading new firmware.

Maybe we can fix it, got to start somewhere.

kiev

Software and Hardware Bugs

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Turns out i had more than just the usual dirt and debris because it wouldn't charge again, so time to investigate. i have a Blink WE-30 level 2 EVSE unit that is mounted outside under a shade tree.

First obstacle is the security screws on the EVSE handle, and they are not 6 pt torx either, they are called Torx Plus Security screws with 5 splines and a center pin. These are called size TPS15. $25 bucks for a set of bits if you can find them. They were repaced with regular #6 x 1/2" wood screws philips head

!Image!

Then i found bugs in the hardware--alabama fire ants crawled thru the 3 little vent/drain holes in the handle and made a nest.

!Image!

Not much stuff in the handle, just a pocket full of shells. Not surprised to find this handle was made in Germany--silver label under the circuit board, the mains line wiring colors, and the use of those stupid TPS screws were the clues:

!Image!

Gave it a good cleaning, and now it's charging again. So check for bugs, they are not always just in software...
Last edited by kiev on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jray3

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:14 am

I have been slowly stripping a local low mileage crashed I-MiEV, could see how much they'll take for the charger if you like.

Kiev, thx for the "TPS Report", and burning memories of debugging. Fire ants are one thing I do not miss about the South!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 80,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Return to “General Technical Discussions”