garygid

Re: my Miev will not charge

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 am

When getting your car back from having service or repair,
don't you get paperwork that details exactly what was done,
and how much each part "cost", and labor for each step?

Things like firmware updates should show up there.

If not, you could ask for such paperwork. :D
LEAF owner, EV supporter

MLucas

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:06 am

vwelham wrote:Thank you for this discussion and feedback on the topic. I'm a potential iMIEV buyer in the Orange County, California, area and I appreciate the updates and follow-through posted on this topic. It is good to know that Mitsubishi's tech found the cause of the problem, followed up with the owner, clarified the issue, and that Mitsubishi then stood by its warranty and fixed the problem.

If you get the i soon, GaryGid is looking for an i in the So Cal area to test our MiEVCan project out on. Its all very harmless monitoring of the OBDII port to get a few more metrics out of the car than the instruments are giving us.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

DonDakin

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:16 am

Last night I drove about 90 Km and ran the battery down to 2 bars before getting home.

Plugged in L1 and went to sleep.

Bad surprise in the moring. Car did not charge at all.

Tried all the usual tricks on 3 different EVSE but no go. Had to drive to Mitsubishi this morning and drop the car off. Luckily it's only about 1 Km away....

~15500 Km without a glitch and this morning pretty much inop.....

I'll keep you all up to date.

I't only been a few hours and I miss the car already :cry:

Don.....

sandange

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:17 am

Hope it's not serious...
Did you check the starter battery, or try to boost it?
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
76,400 miles, 123,000 km
Previous EVs
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
Total Electric miles driven
118,000, (190,000 km)

DonDakin

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Sandange,

Me to but I would guess the charger is bad or a bad cell in the battery or some other component of the charging system.

The car runs fine but I only have 15 KM RR and 2 bars so I'm guessing the starter battery is fine also. I mean all the 12 V stuff is OK.

I am thinking that if it will take a week to repair that I would ask Mutsubishi to call a CAA truck with quick charge and bring the battery up to 50 % while they wait for parts if they need it.

I'll post more when I get some details.....

Don.......

RobbW

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:38 pm

What are all the usual tricks on three different EVSEs? Are you sure your remote timer somehow didn't get accidentally set? Last weekend, my wife had a panic attack when she was outside the return range of our Meepster and the darned thing wouldn't take a charge. She plugged in at two different public charging stations and neither would work. Kept turning on for 5-10 seconds and then would click off.

Turns out, I had let my one-year-old daughter play with my keys to keep herself occupied while we were shopping earlier in the day. She was pushing buttons and I caught her putting the remote in her mouth a couple times. She must have somehow activated the charging timer. So, that night when my wife was trying to manually charge, it would keep going into standby mode. She called me all frantic. Once I remembered about my daughter playing with the remote, I told her to check it. She cleared out/reset the timer and the Meepster started charging just fine.
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

DonDakin

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:06 pm

It's good to mention the remote. I did check that out. I know about the charge timer.
I believe it's also reset if you start the car which I did you can try that out.

It really looks like something else drove to the dealer and tried with the eaton l2 that I have used before and still a no go.

I hope that can fix it next week.

Don......

olagon

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 pm

For the first time since I got the car earlier this year the L1 charger didn't charge. It's an upgraded EVSE charger. I plugged it in and in an hour went to grab something from the car and noticed it wasn't charging. The green light on the charger was still on. I have it plugged into a ThinkEco Modlet (to track energy...also use a TED 5000). The Modlet gets hot and I've been worried about that so I unplugged it. The Modlet is supposed to handle the L1 amperage. Anyway, after the Modlet was removed charging worked again. If this happens again, I'll try to isolate the issue.
2012 iMiev SE
Last two cars were both '95 biodiesel benz
Home & now car 100% PV powered since '09
Other car 2003 Forester...waiting to upgrade when Outlander PHEV is out :-)

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 am

I think many of us have experienced an occasional failure to charge using the OEM EVSE - Pulling out the charge handle and reinserting it fully always solves the problem. It's happened to us two or three times over the past year

Not sure what causes it, but I make a point of checking to see if the charge light is still on several minutes after I begin charging - It would be a pain to go out expecting a fully charged car only to see it hasn't charged at all

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:18 am

olagon wrote:...I have it plugged into a ThinkEco Modlet (to track energy...also use a TED 5000). The Modlet gets hot...
The Modlet has a cutesy website http://themodlet.com/ but I could not readily find its specifications. :evil: I would not use it with our EVSEUpgraded EVSE, as any properly-sized wire/connector/appliance should barely get warm when running at 12A. Hot is not good.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “General Technical Discussions”