my Miev will not charge

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccluer

First sign of trouble in 3200 delightful miles: last night my Miev suspended charging at midpoint (8 bars). The starting battery is fully charged. Every time I plug in either one of my two EVSEs, the fan blows as usual but then charging ceases after 8 seconds. This is with both 120 and 240 V charging. I have yet to check cooling fluid level at the rear. Any similar experiences?

This is what the warranty is for - I'd give your dealer a call and not mess with it until they have a look

Don

Are you sure you have a good ground on your EVSE circuit(s)? Are you using a ground-fault breaker or outlet which may be defective?

More information needed:

Which EVSEs are you using? Any fault lights displayed on either of the EVSEs? Any circuit breakers flipping?

Any fault lights on the car instrumenation? Checked the J1772 connector, making sure no corrosion, moisture or debris is inside any of the connectors.

Checked your fuses in the car?

Make sure your remote isn't telling the car to stop charging. That happened to me once. Two other times it stopped because my 6 year old had put the plug in ... and just didn't push it in well enough.

Since both 120/240 EVSEs aren't working, I'd guess that isn't the problem, rather something onboard - or the remote. Stupid questions: is the key off and shift selector in park?

There is an open service campaign for some battery monitoring software. This may be related. Just a guess.

Both EVSE are dependable, in fact on separate connections to the grid. I called Mitsubishi roadside assistance to deliver the car to the dealer. Will let u all know the diagnosis.

Update as of close of business Friday: Mitsubishi trailered the car to the dealer in Southfield Michigan. Upon inspection, no error codes were found. Mitsubishi has never seen this problem before, this refusal to charge. All systems check as nominal. The company sent the dealer a list of interview questions to find out if my usage was exceptional. (It's not. I'm a very conservative driver and obtain very high mpg with my Escape hybrid, a wonderful car.) The joys of an early adopter.

Hi Maccluer,
I am sure the Mitsubishi dealer would know more than me, and I hope all is sorted soon.

I had a think about the problem and wondered, even though it seems unlikely, perhaps the BMS for some reason senses the battery is full, and is doing what I have seen the car do, in that when I wanted to be very sure the car was full for a long range test, I charged the car normally, then after it finished, I replugged it in and charged again, and the fan went on briefly but the charging light went out in a few minutes.

I did a turn off and replug in yet again, and the same thing happened, the fan went for a bit then the charging light went out.

It is unlikely it would work to do anything if there is a fault, but I wonder if a reset of some kind might work, if you disconnected the 12 volt battery for 30 minutes, preferably after making the main car battery to about 3 bars or less.

Then reconnect the 12 volt battery and then try a recharge, it may work or it may not, but perhaps worth a try if nothing else does.

Well, if it's doing the same thing at the dealership with their equipment, at least you know for sure it's not anything to do with your EVSE. It must be in the car. Did you (or they) eliminate the remote as being the problem, because it is possible to get the symptoms you have if the remote has preprogrammed the car to charge at some other time than when you're trying to charge it?

If you (or anyone) had played with the remote at all between the time it last worked properly and the time it didn't, this might be a real possibility - Could someone in the family have pressed any buttons on it without you knowing???

Don

Good idea, but the remote hasn't been used for months, although I tried to get the car to charge with the remote after the problem surfaced. The code in the car is massive and I may be a victim of an hitherto unknown jump to nonsense. You can never find them all. I have enjoyed the car immensely.

maccluer, I too would have put money on the Remote as the culprit. The symptom is that the BMU is shutting down the charger, thinking the battery is fully charged. If Mitsubishi returns the car to you "fixed" please do press them to tell you exactly what the cause was and what was done to fix it. Enquiring minds would like to know... BTW, did I understand you correctly that you had indeed disconnected the 12v battery in an attempt to reset the system?

Update as of Wednesday afternoon: The tech at the dealer, in consultation with corporate, has concluded that the charger has failed. There is a replacement charger in Atlanta that has now been shipped to Southfield to be installed in my Miev by next Tuesday. I communicated my worry that two weeks in a completely discharged state will permanently harm my battery pack. They will take that worry under advisement.

JoeS: I did not disconnect the starter battery for two reasons: My wife's TT had a Bose system that would at random times discharge the battery to zero, turning the car into slag that had to be trucked to the dealer to be rebooted; would the Miev also turn to slag? Second, if I had designed the car I would have stored the operating state in memory supported by a small ultra cap; so the approach was futile. My best guess was the old NASA rule, "it's always a sensor," or that I had suffered a bad fork in the firmware. Let's see if the tech is right. They could test their hypothesis by plugging in a CHadMos, (which they don't have). My car has the quick charge option. The NASA rule is probably out since there were no error codes.

Update as of Tuesday: The charger was replaced today and the battery pack is now charging. I can retrieve the car tomorrow afternoon. Let's hope the battery pack is not ruined. I'll be able to tell during the (65 mile) ride back home. Report to come.

Here is the final report: The dealer replaced both the charger and battery pack, for a bill of $4832.84, charged to the warranty. My early but firm impression is that the new battery pack is stronger than the original. The trip back from the dealer was 70.6 miles, and I arrived with 11 miles in storage. I hasten to add that I stopped in the quaint village of Milford and plugged in at the municipal parking lot for 55 minutes while I enjoyed a crepe and café creme at a French bakery. The dealer also performed the open recall C1204E "CMU cell monitoring unit reprogramming." (This may be directly relevant to my problem.) So thank me for blazing the trail as an early adopter. I love this car.

Back