Finding a salvage iMiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

So, does anyone have connections inside the auto salvage business? I'd like to get some poor i that was totalled by insurance, as a parts car. (Don, if Katrina's Daughter drowns your i, don't blame me, just send a PM.) :shock:
So far, the online salvage auction sites don't even list our car on their search engines. Likewise, does anyone have a source for OEM parts that's better than the dealer's counter?

I believe totaled cars all eventually wind up at an insurance auction - If you find the car before it's auctioned and you (or your representative) is allowed to attend the auction (they're usually closed to the general public) then you might wind up winning the car for a reasonable price, especially since it's pretty much an unknown quantity to most all auto salvors at this point. If a salvage yard has already bought the car at auction for something like (I'm just guessing here) $2500 to $4K and towed it to their yard, you'd probably pay at least double what they gave for it, if they would agree to sell you the whole car at any price. Unless a nearly brand new car has been rolled over several times and every panel on it has been badly damaged, it would be a miracle if you could buy the car for less than 20% or so of what it cost new

Don't worry about 'Katrina's Sister' getting us - After Katrina put about 30 feet of water through our old neighborhood, washing away ALL of the houses, we'll never live there again. We're at a (realtively) 'high and dry' 45 foot elevation now, plus we're 5 or 6 miles from the coast, whereas we lived right on the water up until 7 years ago

Don

Thanks Javier, I hadn't seen that broker's website. The primary Copart portal still doesn't list our model. http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html
Feel free to introduce yourself, esp. since you're in my neighborhood!
-Jay

Back