240 to 120 step down transformer?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the car would charge using a suitable 240/120 stepdown transformer. It would have to be rated to handle the power the EVSE will draw . . . . around 1,000 watts for the stock unit . . . . more if you're using a 12 amp Level 1 EVSE. Good idea? Probably not

I'm guessing the power in Raratonga is all 240 and you're wanting some way to charge using the OEM EVSE that came with the car? I think a much better idea would be to send your OEM cord to EVSE Upgrade and have it modified for 120/240 operation. They can set it up any way you like, up to a maximum of around 13 amps. Since it comes with a 16 gauge cord which will run a little warm at 13 amps, I would opt to have it set at 10 amps, which would still cut your charge time by more than half

The cord will come back with an L6-20P plug on it and they will sell you a pigtail which fits that with a bare end that you can install whatever 240 volt plug they use down there and you'd be all set. Send it off to them the day you put the car on the boat and they'll get it back to you in plenty of time. Cost is about $300

Don

Don said:
Send it off to them the day you put the car on the boat and they'll get it back to you in plenty of time. Cost is about $300

Don

Thanks Don. Just thinking about a backup. Plus a few of our electronics will need a step down transformer. Whats the turn around time you think? Maybe I could get one before the 8th of August? What is the name of that company again?
And why not order a Level 1 charger for the NZ market from my Mitsubishi dealer ?

www.evseupgrade.com

They usually turn it around in only 24 hours, so the time you're without it is basically the shipping time - If you shipped it via air and paid the extra to get it return air, you'd probably be able to send it off Monday and get it back Friday

Don

Back