Use of Moveing Roller test bed for Charging testing.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iMiEVNZ7

Hi, Has anyone used the car tied down and in a safe test roller bed, to measure recharging under more controlled conditions than on the open road.?.

Not so much that open road isn't perfectly ok, but I would like to measure heat build up around batteries and charging gear, and how efficient that is in being cooled, and to vary speed and recharge rate to estimate what is the best speed to allow the iMiEV to come down a long incline, without being on the road holding up traffic while I was testing !.

I would expect there is an max regen amount at a certain speed and that over that speed not more is achieved.

Also, I am unsure how long a hill is ok for the regen, should I let it coast or pull over to avoid over heating the regen gear or batteries ?.

I would expect they have allowed for a max of a hill slope and length of about 1:4 and a distance of 10 kms, or I guess at 50 km / hour, about 12 mins travel... It would be a long slope, similar to our Porters Pass in Canterbury.

Would the best speed re best charging capacity back into the batteries be via rolling faster or slower, say 30 km / Hr. ?.

If so, on another thought, at what point would rechargeing on a test bed be safe but quicker than a level two charger. Could a Test bed be used at rest areas to charge cars up, without the need for the Chademo chargers which are very expensive at present.

That aside though , Can Testers use the test bed for testing power output from the motor and solving problems say at various speeds that are hard to find in on road tests...?.

iMiEVNZ7 said:
Also, I am unsure how long a hill is ok for the regen, should I let it coast or pull over to avoid over heating the regen gear or batteries ?
I would be very surprised if the i's BMS is more primitive than that of my 12-year old Honda Insight which limits regen and assist when the battery pack's temperature exceeds a certain limit. Mitsubishi doesn't want to replace expensive battery packs and motor-generators under warranty, so I'm sure that over- and probably under-temperature protection has been implemented.

Back