justinchristie

Front wheel bearing replacement

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello,

My 2012 i-Miev (65,000kms) front wheel bearing(s) are going - it makes the jet engine (roar) sound as speed increases. I am going to repair both at the same time for peace of mind, and while I have all the tools out. I'll be using the slide hammer kit to remove the hub from bearing, and the bearing press kit to remove and re-install the bearing and hub.

Is there anything I should know? I have the service manual from mmc-manuals.ru, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks - I did a few forum searches and found no info on anyone else performing this repair.

Don
Site Moderator

Re: Front wheel bearing replacement

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 pm

justinchristie wrote:I did a few forum searches and found no info on anyone else performing this repair.

I think you're probably the first one here to change a wheel bearing - You'll be adding to our knowledge base for sure! The front spindles and bearings are different on out iMiEV's than just about any other car I can think of, so your experience and tips will be invaluable!

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

justinchristie

Re: Front wheel bearing replacement

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 am

Don wrote:I think you're probably the first one here to change a wheel bearing - You'll be adding to our knowledge base for sure! The front spindles and bearings are different on out iMiEV's than just about any other car I can think of, so your experience and tips will be invaluable!

Don

Ok. this is both exciting and scary at the same time. I have done a little more research on YouTube and found a few videos that are similar to how I would approach this without a shop press. I'll try posting the process in the next week or so, just waiting on the parts and tools to arrive this week.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”