DougC

Re: Shifter starting to have problems

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:01 am

Man I wish my car was that clean. No wonder I'm having issues with the linkage.

DougC

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:50 am

I took the 2 bolts out that hold the sensor on the gear box and saw that they are slotted for rotational adjustment. I'm thinking I can adjust this to make the computer happy. I tried adjusting it for a bit, but it was too cold to keep playing. This weekend will be above freezing so I'll try again later. I was able to get 'B' back by adjusting. But still wasn't able to stop the warning lights.

DougC

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 am

After adjusting the shifter switch, I'm able to get 'B' driving mode back. Man I really missed that.

I still get the check engine light whenever I start the car while in Park. RBS and Turtle mode are now gone. I've found that if I turn the car to start and immediately shift out of Park (before the system initializes and beeps), I do not get the check engine light. It will return if I shift back to Park.

I'm hoping this is just a left over warning from a weak 12volt battery. I did replace it, and had the new one checked to make sure it was good.

I just got the latest recall notice, so I'll take it in to have that done and hope they clear the warning without charging for that. :?

ed5000

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 pm

PV1 wrote:Hi, all. Been off the forum for a while.

Both of my cars had this issue, as does a friend's i-MiEV. Like others have said, the fix for this is to lubricate the lever coming out of the gearbox that connects to the shifter linkage. Since this is all open to the elements, the bearings dry out over time and cause stiff shifting.

For my cars, I simply used a few drops of engine oil and worked the shifter to loosen everything. With the car on a flat, level surface, apply the parking brake, put a couple drops of oil on the shifter rod coming out of the gearbox as close as you can to the bearing seal on the gearbox, a couple drops in between the black plastic box and the arm, and a drop where the shifter cable attaches to the arm. Then, in the car, apply the foot brake, turn the key to either Accessory or On (don't start the car), and run the shifter end to end several times. You should immediately feel the linkage loosen up. Put the car back in Park, put one more drop of oil in these three locations, then run the shifter from Park to B (or C) and back a few more times. Shifting should be back to normal.

The shifter arm on the gearbox can be accessed pretty easily with the car on the ground.

Thanks PV1. I just tried this myself on my silver I-miev. The shifter worked fine but was getting a little stiff.

I did notice it was easier from the drivers side. :roll: :lol:

Ed
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

ed5000

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:28 am

ed5000 wrote:Thanks PV1. I just tried this myself on my silver I-miev. The shifter worked fine but was getting a little stiff.

I did notice it was easier from the drivers side. :roll: :lol:

Ed

Wow, this really works. After a day or so of driving around my shifter works like new! 8-)

The other thing I think this car needs now are some new shocks or struts. I'll be looking around here about it.
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

Return to “General Technical Discussions”