DougC

Shifter starting to have problems

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 am

I've seen others have had this problem, but my shifter is starting cause problems.

It no longer shifts as smooth as it used to, it won't always display the correct position. I have to shift to B twice to get it to take. Not always going into P when it should, which causes the charger not to start, also parking pawl sometimes doesn't engage.

I've done a search here and saw some threads on the topic but still have some questions.

-Has anyone done a DIY fix or swap out of the shifter switch piece?
-I would like to know if this is a task that the home mechanic should try.
-What does the part look like? Anyone have pictures?

I've just downloaded the tech manual from the forum and will take a look at that, once I reboot this computer.

Doug

Gary12345

Re: Shifter starting to have problems

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:56 am

From what i've read, issues like this were resolved by greasing the linkage at the motor/gearbox end. There are 2 sensors and if they disagree it causes you issues.

Thanks.

DougC

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks.

I've never looked in that area. I'll have to open it up and see what can be done.

DougC

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm surprised to see the shifter is a mechanical linkage from the shift lever to the motor area. I would have thought it would be electrical / fly by wire / CAN

I've now lost my 'B` mode and the other drive modes are not always where the shift lever ways they are.

PV1
Site Moderator

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 am

Hi, all. Been off the forum for a while.

Both of my cars had this issue, as does a friend's i-MiEV. Like others have said, the fix for this is to lubricate the lever coming out of the gearbox that connects to the shifter linkage. Since this is all open to the elements, the bearings dry out over time and cause stiff shifting.

For my cars, I simply used a few drops of engine oil and worked the shifter to loosen everything. With the car on a flat, level surface, apply the parking brake, put a couple drops of oil on the shifter rod coming out of the gearbox as close as you can to the bearing seal on the gearbox, a couple drops in between the black plastic box and the arm, and a drop where the shifter cable attaches to the arm. Then, in the car, apply the foot brake, turn the key to either Accessory or On (don't start the car), and run the shifter end to end several times. You should immediately feel the linkage loosen up. Put the car back in Park, put one more drop of oil in these three locations, then run the shifter from Park to B (or C) and back a few more times. Shifting should be back to normal.

The shifter arm on the gearbox can be accessed pretty easily with the car on the ground.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”