CHAdeMO flap release not working

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phb10186

I noticed that this is now not opening via the release lever by the drivers seat (RHD) (and from other cars I have had, this tends to be due to a fault on the pin at the flap end). I am going to have to pull the inside trim off and have a look - does anyone know if there is a manual override release behind the back trim, and if that end of the cable can be replaced?

I did not expect this issue on a 6 year old car, but likely to be due to lack of use... it may just be clogged with debris (who knows until i can get at it).

Are you sure the bowden cable sleeve hasn't come out of the bracket at the lever end ? That seems to be a very common problem with these, at least on the RHD models.

Mine didn't work when I first picked it up (second hand) and that's all it was, and a lot of people have had the same problem.

I believe that it is difficult but possible to open the hatch from behind the bumper in an emergency, (I've seen a youtube video where this was done) but I haven't tried it myself.

Sorry for the late reply, but here may be another easy approach. In what must be a holdover from the original RHD design, the North American version has the CHAdeMO release cable routed through the right hand rear quarter panel, which can be accessed from behind by removing the interior trim panel without any tools. It is like a bicycle brake cable, with a barrel crimped onto the cable end, which I suppose could work loose.
If the cable has failed ahead of that connection, you can open it from the right rear quarter. I assume that the UK version has a shorter release cable originating on the right side of the driver's seat, going back to that same junction in the right rear quarter.

Back