Re-mapping

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomash85715

We now have E dealer here in tucson AZ where I took my car for passenger airbag today. That went fine but they suggest a $140 "re-mapping" of the charge system and cell management. I told them the "tank" would fill to 84 miles but it is burning off faster than that; their solution is this procedure. Their mitsu computer is in the shop though and they can't do it right yet. Has anyone got a before and after story on this job? My car has 21840 miles on it. Powertrain warranty runs out in a month; battery has three more years to go on its warranty.

Oh yeah that tool is a very common "Transfer" device-- letting them do a "re-mapping" of the cells is a good way to transfer $140 from your pocket to theirs.

Showing an estimated "Range Remaining" meter of 84 miles means you are driving very economically, but the size of the cells is the real limit to how far you can go, and it was designed to go about 64 miles. So if RR is reading more than 64, or you have A/C or heater on, then it will drop faster than the odometer.

The "fuel" gauge has 16 bars to full, so about 64/16= 4 miles per bar is another way to estimate remaining range.

You can do the "re-mapping" yourself for free: drive the car around until you get home with 2 bars or less on the fuel gauge, then plug in and charge to Full. This procedure re-calibrates the cell management system.

Kiev: Thank you for reply. In the course of airbag re-do, the aux battery was disconnected. I know this because both A n B odometers reset and radio stations were lost. But the countdown range changed A LOT and the car seems to be recalibrating itself ever since. I drove 15 miles since the reset and the countdown dropped by THREE MILES! It has now started to resume more normal scale of operation. But dealer also stated my aux battery is "bad" with only 170 CCA when 290 is called for. It is five year old original. I will likely get a new aux batt soon and see how the thing behaves after that. If aux batt is failing, will that affect accuracy of countdown range odometer? --TH

Yes definitely replace the original 12V aux battery, almost everyone on here with a 2012 has already done so. Numerous issues and weird trouble lights, starting and charging problems, etc. can result from an old worn out and weak Aux battery.

And unless you have checked and added to the water level annually, i would bet it is low. The DCDC converter holds the battery at 14.4 while the car is in READY, this causes hydrolysis and boils off the electrolyte over time. Distilled water can be added to top them up, but once the tops of the plates get exposed to air there is not much chance to salvage a lead-acid battery.

The price of lead has tripled in the last 10 years so expect sticker shock when you see the battery price. Type 51R will fit and work just fine, available nearly everywhere car parts are sold. Undo the 2 plastic clips holding the positive battery cable to the metal bracket for easier swap out and less cussing and busted knuckles.

Back