Optimum EV Charging and Electricity Consumption Time for GHG, TOU

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GdB

In order to charge at the cleanest grid time, I have set my EVSE to only charge from 7h to 17h. Besides helping to reduce GHG, this also promotes solar, and will hasten the demise of non-renewables.
Until SCE's TOU supports this and is actually cheaper for me, I'm staying on the standard NEM plan.

http://beyondefficiency.us/blog/whats-dirtiest-time-day-use-electricity

By GHG emissions by hour
Optimum between 7 and 17h average
170510_03.png

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=30692

main.png

tab1.png

tab2.png

tab3.png

tab4.png

Hi GdB, whereabouts are you located? You might update your profile so it shows up by your name:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196
You mentioned SCE which I believe stands for Southern California Edison.

Your post title is confusing to me, because Optimum TOU times are NOT necessarily Optimum GHG times. You referenced GHG vs. time-of-day, which also varies with season and would have to be factored into your calculation. Nice to see elements of the Duck Curve in the graph.

In your first sentence I believe the point that you are making is that you are attempting to minimize your GHG footprint, irrespective of cost. Have you quantified this cost 'contribution' that you are making?

To complete the picture, perhaps you could summarize your rate structures for the two alternatives you presented? I found it impossible to synthesize the mass of information regarding tariff options on SCE's website.

Incidentally, your rate structure is considerably lower than my PG&E E-6 tariff (which has increased dramatically in the last two years). Bottom line, my Peak rate in the Summer at over 100% of Baseline is $0.43566/kWh :!: The ridiculousness of this is that I achieve the "100% over Baseline" number by generation and not consumption, but the utility doesn't care and uses that rate over the entire monthly billing cycle irrespective of whether I'm generating or consuming. Despite all that, I still haven't paid for any of the electricity I consumed in the last eleven years (the reconciliation "True-Up" occurs once a year), although the (expletive) utility has upped the monthly meter 'rental' rates. My expanded (to 11kW) home Solar installation is now fully amortized (after including EVs into the amortization calculation). Also, within the last year our community has signed up for obtaining ALL our power from carbon-free sources and with all my conserving efforts I might actually be eligible for a payment as a 'net power generator' at the next annual reconciliation if our mild winter continues (I have an all-electric house). Helps to not be driving the Tesla locally, as the i-MiEVs sip instead of slurping. :mrgreen:

Thanks JoeS for input. I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter that I would like to make hybrid. Can you tell me about your "EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96" conversions? Are they documented in thread somewhere?

GdB said:
Thanks JoeS for input. I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter that I would like to make hybrid. Can you tell me about your "EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96" conversions? Are they documented in thread somewhere?
GdB, I sent you a PM so as not to get off-topic. To answer the question, these are old conversions using dc motors and lead-acid batteries that I picked up and did not do myself. They both run.

Back