Christmas eve range adventure

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

Our Christmas eve adventure with Bluey

Last night Dec 24, our L3 charging experience
3:30 pm started with a cold battery L3 charging for
61 minutes for
9.1 kwh
92 % battery
We drove from
Duluth & St Laurent Montreal to
Beaver Lake ( Skating with the Kids , & then home to
Ste-Anne-des-Lacs (near St Sauveur)
73 km Total, ( 45.36 miles )

1,000 ft elevation climb.
I used the diesel heater – so no electric heating except rear window defog.

The roads were slippery and the temperature was around
-10C ( 14 F )
I
Speed was 80-85 kmph ( 50-53 mph) or less on the 60% highway
We arrived home with ( - 2 km) ( we saw the turtle and went beyond)

Our I Miev is a 2014 with 143,000 km ( 88,860 miles)
shoed with winter tires……soooo

I really can’t sense any significant battery degradation
Considering these results.
And still ticking
Happy Holidays to the gang here

It’s too late for this winter but I’ll install a heater for next year. Don’t think I’d arrive alive trying to do that distance in Canada without a heater running.

We decided to install the diesel for 2 reasons -
Our miev is our only car and loosing up to 45% of the autonomy is not an option for us.
The driving experience ( visibility & comfort) in winter conditions with out the heater is brutal here in Canada and a breeding ground for divorce in some cases, LOL.

We drove or fist i miev ( 2012) with out a fuel heater for 2 years & froze. never again.
The first thing we installed on our 2014 was the heater - no regrets.
We use it when necessary for those longer trips or when it's -25 degrees or colder or freezing rain conditions. For the shorter trips we use the electric heater and heated seats.

My Recommendation
You need Level 2 charging for extreme winter conditions for this to work properly
Timing that the car so it's finished charging 1 hour before you leave helps warm up the battery
and then pre heating the car ( using the defrost mode is much warmer) for 1/2 hour helps a lot also -
make sure the seat heaters are turned on the night before for warm seats during pre heating .

For extreme cold weather (-25 or colder) where the car is parked outdoors always leave it plugged in and fully charge .

Hi Sandange,

Level 2 charging would be nice. I’m not sure if that’s possible at my place.

I was even looking at a quick220 but I don’t think I’ll find 2 out of phase non-GFI outlets anywhere near the garage and that whole setup just screams “hazard” to me.

I’ll have to upgrade my EVSE to 12amps when I can next year.
I should be OK with my 84 km commute, if the only outlet at work gets ice’d I have a free L3 IKEA charger minutes away. I’ll have to talk to management when I return from holidays.

Back