Imiev 2016 issue

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathonor

Hi,
Just wondering what happens with some 2016 in Canada (montreal area)
There is a French Imiev forum on AVEQ.CA which mention many owners with problems after multiple Quick charge on the same day. The onboard charger seems to have a problem and may need to be replaced.
I'm a little worried with my 2012 SE (I love it so much) but I do not use Fast charge very frequently.

Any issue reported from your side ?

Thanks

Olivier, Montréal

What’s the issue?

I’m in Canada and I did a 1 day trip with multiple QC in a single in my 2012 and I didn’t have any problems.

"Quick charging" shouldn't have any effect on the internal charger in the car as it is not being used during the QC session. The external DC charger is providing all of the current into the battery pack--there is no AC power being supplied to the built in charger. That being said, the DC-DC converter that supplies 12 volt power to the vehicle when in operation is part of (and located in) the internal charger. There might be some kind of conflict happening during QC charging that is causing damage to the unit. However, in normal vehicle operation, the DC-DC converter is in operation with the charging section inoperative. So--more information is needed as to what could be causing the problem with 2016 cars in Canada as it doesn't seem to be a known problem in the older fleet.

Indeed- I have done at least 200 DCQC sessions and I think my 'personal worst' was a dozen sessions on a single hot August day, and I've only had an issue after successful handshakes on a couple of EVGO stations that prematurely disconnected. Blink stations have failed to start up a number of times, and AeroVironment DCFC required 2 startup attempts more than once. Only glitches on L2 charging were when the handle latch did not click closed (incomplete insertion).

I once did 630km in a day using 9 Quick-charges, followed by two slow charges and didn't notice a thing. Mine is a 2011 european model.
As long as I had the A/C trick working, battery temperature stabilized at 35ºC average after the 2nd or 3rd QC.

Back