Argh HELP (car with !) came on - when i was starting to charge (solved)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meier

Hi guys I have searched the forums - but cant seem to find anything.

My car did something weird - I came out and It wasnt charged, so i thought i might have forget to switch on charger - drove off (50% charge)

Came back home hooked ion charger - and the charge symbol came up but then the yellow (car!) and i noticed the gear selector blinked from P to R !! - so tried fumble with the gear selector - and i notice it might be going a bit hard - and as it not clicks in in the gears as "tight" as it used to ...

So turned on/off igniton, put the car firmly in P .... everything was fine ... HMmmm

Later i came home it did the same ....

Whats up ??? I remember a thread talking about a selector stuck - and dirt or something .... any thing that can be oiled - cleaned ??

Cheers

I found this on another forum where people are lubing something - how ever i do not understand what they are referering to ?? Any one with native english or technical insight

https://speakev.com/threads/czero-ion-new-weak-spot.14750/

FOUND IT :)

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3000

Will try lubing those parts under the car

From what the post explains, it seems to be a mechanical issue in the physical linkage inside or under the car... maybe give it a clean and lube?

Though, I cant understand why there is a linkage when there is nothing to link to... no gearbox exists, so what exactly is the selector doing... not sure. As far as I thought, it was just a big limp of sliding plastic that may interface with the battery polarity, but im not sure as have not studied it. The regen must be controlled by a non-physical interface, so all I can see that may be needed is the polarity, and perhaps a lock for 'Park' on the final drive box... im sure someone will further clarify that, but when you move the selector its only really when moving out of Park that you can feel anything that feel mechanically different.

Is there a solonoid lock park - if so this may need a look at, with a view to cleaning and lubricating.

Caution: take this advice as from an ignorant source, as I have not studied the assemblies, nor have I ever disassembled the selector covers inside the car.

The gear selector moves a cable, which moves an arm on the gearbox (single speed, so technically not a transmission). This arm more or less controls a multi-position switch that tells the car which drive mode to be in. It also moves the parking pawl to lock the gearbox for Park. There is a sensor on the pawl to confirm to the car that the pawl is engaged and the car is truly in Park. I've noticed a couple of times that my car wouldn't drop all the way into Park, and so no gear was indicated on the dash and the AVAS was active.

It would be quite simple to have a push button drive selector and electric parking pawl like the Tesla Roadster does, but Mitsubishi went this route to save cost (shifter was already designed and in place from the gas model). So, since the drive mode switch is on the gearbox, a bound or stretched cable will cause issues with the car not engaging drive modes. It's a mechanical issue.

Problem Solved -

I looked under the car and it was obvious where the linkage was, and it looked very very dirty, salty ect - I didnt have much time, so sprayed all joints with bicycle chainlube -

AND WOW - WHAT a difference - gear selector is no crispy and tight as never before - crazy that is not under service spec...

Actually im very very curious if someone have the specifications by Mitshubishi to what the mechanics have to do - when the car is getting service ... - over here in DK it seems like Citroen have no idea - and just top up the sprinkler fluid, and filters ect -

Glad you were able to fix it.

Koorz definitely won't need that done for a while. Shifting is actually too easy (I've accidentally slammed it into Park several times when trying to go into Reverse :? ).

oh - Mine is 5 years old... and actually I have noticed from time to time the shifting got sort off spongy and hard
- just to go away after some use :)

Back