Level 3 DC Quick charger upgrade

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeJohn

I have a 2012 Mitsubishi I-miev. It comes only with a standard level one charger. Does anyone know any of the who,what,when,why and where about having a level III installed on a model that did not come with it. thank you for your help!

John
1972 VW Baja bug
1986 FIAT Panda 4x4
2012 Mitsubishi I-miev

You can buy a level 2 EVSE which plugs in to the same J1772 port your level 1 does. It is not possible to install a Chademo port (level 3) after the fact.

The charger installed in your car does both level 1 and 2 depending on how much power the EVSE is capable of providing. For level 3 the charger in your car is bypassed and the external charger connects directly to the battery through a completely separate port.

So Mitsubishi can't install it as an upgrade at a dealership or components can't be pulled off of a wrecked one in the junkyard?

Unfortunately not. A few owners have tried in the past, but because the main computer (EV-ECU) needs to be changed, this also means that ALL other ECUs need to be changed with it as they are all VIN-encoded. If there is a VIN mismatch, the car won't start. So that rules out pulling parts from another car (although one total transplant has been done successfully).

If the car has the battery warming system (unlikely for a car originally sold down south), then it may be possible for it to be added relatively easy (the components necessary would be the release handle, a new EV-ECU with QC-enabled firmware (and the tool to flash the VIN), and the quick charge port itself. That is, if there aren't components missing from within the pack (the dealers are not allowed to open the pack. The battery pack is one part number from Mitsubishi and no components inside can be ordered).

Two different packs have been identified in the US. One has the cooling/warming system plumbing and exhaust fan, the other does not (dis-regarding the quiet cell upgrade in mid-2012). We still don't know if Mitsubishi would've went through the hassle of building three differently configured packs for the US (the third being warming system without the quick charge hardware) for the three differently configured cars that were available. This all went away with the 2014 model year, as ALL cars had the warming system and quick charge (simplifying production led to a $6,000 price drop).

Bottom line, so far, the only successful QC addition has been a total electrical transplant from a QC-enabled car to one without, plus the purchase and programming of a new airbag controller (the donor car was a wreck). If you go this route, be prepared to totally dismantle the car to do it, but please keep us posted if you do :D .

Yes - If you're buying a used 2012 and DCQC is important to you, hold out until you find one so equipped. It won't cost you anymore than buying one without and retrofitting DCQC into a car which did not come from the factory with it is for all practical purposes, impossible

We bought a used 2012 lease return about 18 months ago. I ignored all the ones I found for sale except for those which were SE Premium packages as they came with DCQC, Nav, Bluetooth, upgraded stereo, fog lights, etc, etc - The prices I found were all essentially the same regardless of what package the cars came equipped with. We bought an SE Premium with 3,900 miles which looked and smelled brand new and paid $8700 for it - There were some are bones ES models with 25,000 miles advertised for $10K to $12K, but there are always a few sellers out there who want twice what their stuff is worth

They're still out there - If you need DCQC, don't settle for one without it!!

Don

I've got a 2012 SE without the quick charge but I'd like to use the quick charge door flap.

Does anyone have the 411 on how to install the latch beside the drivers seat for the quick charge door?
Is it just a kit from the dealer?

I know that the cable is in the access panel in the rear of the car. I've accessed the quick charge door to check out my quick charge emptiness, lol.
Thanks in advance for info. :mrgreen:

twiin640 said:
I've got a 2012 SE without the quick charge but I'd like to use the quick charge door flap.

Does anyone have the 411 on how to install the latch beside the drivers seat for the quick charge door?
The cable to open that little door is located inside the removable panel on the passenger side cargo compartment behind the rear seats - It shouldn't be too hard to make yourself a little lever to make it easy to pull

Don

wmcbrine said:
twiin640 said:
Uh... for what?
If I was installing a fuel heater, I would mount the fuel tank back there (so it's not up front susceptible to a crash) and use the DCQC door to refuel the tank

Don

To install the lever to release the QC door is simple. In fact if you remove some of the rear carpet you will find what holds the door shut. The latch and cable for the door is already there--however it is shorter than the actual one you will need to run to the front seat. You only need the handle and the bolts to mount It. The goofy part is the carpet assembly is actually completely different with the optional QC charging option. But don't fret---you will never notice it and only a real sharp judge at Pebble Beach would ever catch it :lol: ! There is a little bump in the carpet in the QC models that covers the rear of the lever (which is under the drivers seat). Sort of up scale trim like you would find on a Rolls-Royce.

Different carpet and a shorter cable on top of the other differences?! Mitsubishi sure went through a lot of trouble for a $750 option :lol: .

That's a good idea about a heater fuel tank. If anything, I would put a pair of 120 volt outlets there and permanently mount a power inverter in the car.

wmcbrine said:
twiin640 said:
Uh... for what?

One of 2 options I'm currently researching.
1. Addition of a second J1772 charging port to facilitate charging from either side.
2. Addition of a second battery pack. It will have it's own charger, bms and j1772 charging port. The charging port would be installed behind the quick charge door.

Don said:
wmcbrine said:
twiin640 said:
Uh... for what?
If I was installing a fuel heater, I would mount the fuel tank back there (so it's not up front susceptible to a crash) and use the DCQC door to refuel the tank

Don

My last ev had a gas heater with a fuel tank. It had a gas fuel door on the side of the car. I couldn't see having an electric vehicle with a gas component of any kind so I removed it
to use an electric heater instead.

Back