kiev

Re: RBS, ! , turtle error. What was your cause and fix?

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

i took the battery in to the autoparts and they hooked up their electrickery tester, and the fellow said it was good on volts, but not so much on amps--that it needed a charge...? Well if the voltage is somehow high then how can it charge without boiling over.

So i just bought a new one, type 151R or 51R is the exact size to fit, it just has a flat bar and not the screw caps for adding water, $135 at Advance or O'Reilly. Neverstart Gold Ultra, 370 CCA!

i think the date code was july 2010, 071092, so it may have only been in service since Jan 2012, but it was over 6 years old. It may be that the few times i had the errors before in the past year were just due to weak 12V battery and something acting up when it was hot weather?

Kiev seems to be running normal, no more errors.

Joe better get ready to buy 3 new batteries, you are on your last legs with those--they don't last forever...
Last edited by kiev on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

obrother

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 am

Dealer says they cleared all the codes, test drove and charged the car. I told them to check the 12v battery but it looks like they didn't. They say they couldn't find the problem and that I should drive it and monitor it. I will pick up the car tomorrow. So $120 Canadian plus tax to get the car driving until they next time. They are charging me for the diagnostic. They didn't say anything about the 12v battery... I will be buying a new one tomorrow on the way home from picking up my car at the dealer. I remember seeing lots of corrosion on the positive terminal. It looks like everyone that has a 2012 or 13 should be looking at changing their battery before they need to get towed. We should get a sticky post on here that warns everyone to do so. I'm also thinking seriously about getting a mut 3 or maybe an i909 to at least clear the codes to get the car going the next time I have a problem.

obrother

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:03 am

Ok I think I've got it for sure now.... Once in a while I was getting an abs warning when I started the car. I turned the car off and on and it would go away. I read the owners' manual and it says abs warning will come on when the battery voltage is low. So that's it. That should be an early warning to everybody. It's not obvious in the owners manual because it says it can happen after using booster cables.It's in the section about boosting. It didn't say it can happen while driving!!! So we can't assume that if car turns on that the battery is ok...even if you get a ready light with no codes you can still have a problem if the battery is weak.
Last edited by obrother on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:07 am

kiev wrote:...So i just bought a new one,.... Neverstart Gold Ultra...
:lol: :lol:

Surprised that for that price you didn't get an AGM to obviate any need to check/add water.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kiev

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Hey obrother, is your car on the vin list for needing the recall of the motor control unit--or already had it done? Mine is on the list but it hasn't been done.

Maybe i spoke too soon--i got the errors again this afternoon. i drove about 10 miles then parked on a slope in 95F temperature, on hot asphalt, and turned it off for about 5-10 minutes. Then went to start and got the errors. Cycled the key switch about 3 times over several minutes, and then it stayed in READY with no errors and i drove 25 miles without a hitch...kind of a pain when you have passengers and fighting rush hour traffic too.

@Joe
i wasn't sure that AGM would like being held at 14.4 by the dc converter all the time when driving or connected to EVSE.

"Maintenance Free" is just marketing bs--in real life there is no such thing in anything that matters. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance...

more edits:
i found this statement in the manual concerning troubleshooting,
"a diagnosis code associated with another system may be set when the electric motor switch is turned ON with connector(s) disconnected."

If there were something broken, then the error and codes would persist. But from the intermittent nature of this problem it sure seems likely a connector issue related to high ambient temperatures.

There is a section on how to cope with intermittent malfunctions that involves wiggling connectors and harnesses--the problem is how do you know if you found it.

Not sure that a MUT would help in this case unless it were connected at the time of the intermittent event.

edits:
Piev just sent me a note about checking the shift lever switch. That is a good candidate since it is located outside near the heat-producing elements down under the back of the car, so dirt and temperature could be factors with a sealed plastic switch...

obrother

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:13 pm

kiev,

No we didn't get the mcu/motor control unit recall here yet. I could be wrong but my car hasn't had it. My dealer says my car didn't have it and there is no outstanding recall for my car. I put a 151r battery in today and am keeping my finger crossed (in canada just look for a battery for a 2010 honda fit). Under abs in the owners' manual it does say that a abs warning does mean there is a low 12v battery voltage. I ordered the icarsoft i909 diagnostic tool and will provide a review in a couple of weeks when it arrives. It's tool early to tell if the problem is gone for sure... I will have to wait and see.

kiev

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Hey obro' i hope it works out good for you. i'm thinking maybe the recall was only for early 2012's.

So far so good for me, but the weather has been mild and cooler, so i'm not surprised.

If it starts acting up again i will be checking the gear position sensor on the gearbox, maybe even swap it out.

obrother

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:16 pm

I just got my i909 scan tool. It does work with the imiev for sure. I don't have an error codes right now so can't confirm but it should clear them. There are lots of screens to go through... the one interesting one which applies to my 12v battery problem I had in this thread... the i909 shows you live voltage of the 12v battery...key off...key on and ready...you can see the voltage drop live.

kiev

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Okay, so just make your car flip the errors again and you can read the code--oh, but now it won't since you have a new battery and the code reader :lol:

Knock wood no problems here, and i even did another 70-mile day this week. Temperatures in mid-90's so it's plenty hot if that is a trigger...

kiev

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 pm

i thought it was all behind me with the new battery, but i got it again.

Last week i got home and opened the trunk to unload, then went inside to put groceries away, got distracted and didn't get back out for at least 30 minutes. Went to start up and move to the evse spot and got the RBS and the ! HV errors plus turtle. Tried cycling restart a couple of times, same result, so just drove it over and plugged in to charge--and then it killed the charge signal and shut off the EVSE. So i waited a couple hours and went back out to try again, no problem this time with charging, and car started and good to go the next morning.

i checked the 12V battery voltage at the time of the error and it was only 12.4, and this battery is only a couple of months old! Maybe it is weak or crappy even though new--seems it shouldn't have been pulled down so low by just the interior light? But they just don't make stuff as good these days, it's all about the money and doing it cheap...

i checked the pack at the time also using canion and it was all good and even, no cells out of family.

i'm going to chalk this one up to low 12v battery voltage--it seems to be the common element for causing this in my cases.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”