obrother

RBS, ! , turtle error. What was your cause and fix?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:08 am

I want to start a thread for everyone to put the cause and fix for their imiev problems.

I just had my car towed to the dealer. It was my fourth trip to/from work on a charge. It was early morning after a hard rain and rain stopped some hours before, the roads were still wet but not soaked and it was near 100% humidity and around 24 deg C. I was getting off the highway when I lost power. I got the rbs, exclamation, turtle, and battery symbols. I drove car off to the side turned it off and on and made it to work until I was backing up into my parking space and it happened again. I needed a charge to get home and tried all sorts of things to get it to charge but it wouldn't. It would try and then I would get an error. After work I tried unhooking the battery twice to maybe reset the error but nothing changed. Car will be looked at on Monday. I'm not sure buying this used imiev was a good idea now. What happens when warranty runs out? Getting a MUT3 tool may be essential in the future. Roadside assistance had expired but because this is a 'warrantable' failure mitsubishi will tow your car to a certified imiev dealer.

Its a 2012 chademo base model with 41500kms. Traction battery is still strong (canion/obdlink)
Last edited by obrother on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

kiev

Re: RBS ! turtle error. What was your cause and fix?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:01 am

What was the fuel gauge showing--how many bars?

Have you ever done a calibration charge since you've had it?

i've had the error codes do that to me several times on my 2012 during humid or hot weather conditions--i'll let it cool or set 5 minutes and retry, it has never left me stranded, knock wood.

If your 2012 still has the original 12V battery then that could be weak or worn out after 4 or 5 years old, and that could cause the issue also. The lead acid battery requires annual maintenance.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

obrother

Re: RBS ! turtle error. What was your cause and fix?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 am

kiev wrote:What was the fuel gauge showing--how many bars?

Have you ever done a calibration charge since you've had it?

i've had the error codes do that to me several times on my 2012 during humid or hot weather conditions--i'll let it cool or set 5 minutes and retry, it has never left me stranded, knock wood.

If your 2012 still has the original 12V battery then that could be weak or worn out after 4 or 5 years old, and that could cause the issue also. The lead acid battery requires annual maintenance.

This is the first time to a dealer with it for me. I had 20km range left... I think 4 bars. The only calibration I have done is from last bar flashing 'fuel' to full charge at home on 7amp charge... when I almost ran out the traction battery driving home from where I bought the car used. No idea about 12v battery... I was able to run all accessories while waiting for the tow truck... only a/c compressor would not stay on... it would run for a second and shut off...I could feel the cool air and the felt the compressor shake when computer shut it down. I operated the windows, fan, radio and driving lights with no problem. I was able to drive the car in limp mode to make it easier for the tow truck to load it on the flatbed. I disconnected the 12v battery twice and it sparked each time i reconnected it. I hope it is just the 12v battery. Anything major might remove any confidence I have in the reliability of the car. If it is the 12v should everyone change theirs at a certain point before it fails and leaves them stranded? And what would that point be?

kiev

Re: RBS, ! , turtle error. What was your cause and fix?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Sure enough--didn't touch wood and i jinxed myself...

Went across town for lunch today (mid 90's temperature) and sure enough it errored out on me when trying to start up to get home. i tried a couple of quick cycles and no luck, so i just turtled on down the road looking for a shady spot to pull over and let it cool and figure out what to do.

Just so happens that within less than a minute, a flat bed tow truck came rolling up behind me and offered to carry me home. Turns out he recognized the little electric car because he had recently been on a long haul in the past month from Orlando carrying a dozen of these little mievs to a car dealer in Nashville. Now how is that for karma...

i would guess that there is another round of off-lease cars soon to be hitting the market--commence to jigglin y'all

obrother

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:25 pm

kiev...Welcome to the broke down and got towed club!!! :P

kiev

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:31 pm

So i made some battery measurements after i got home--of course it cranked right up to READY after getting off the flat-bed.

READY mode, battery 14.38
turned key off, battery reading 12.84
turned key to ON, batt 12.20

This much sag indicates the battery is weak or worn out. It's at least 5 years old so i think it has given good service.

It will crank to READY, but the car soon displays the RBS, !, and turtle also. Able to drive around to a nearby grocery store and back, even got up to 40 mph, but when parked the ready went off and the red battery symbol came on. So i'll replace the 12V and see what happens after that...

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:33 am

I still have my doubts as I still contend (as discussed on previous different threads) that, once the car is in READY with no errors, the dc-dc converter keeps the 12v battery voltage within acceptable limits even if the 12v battery is extremely weak. kiev, in the above example, sure, the 12v battery sags a bit and is may be a bit weak depending on what accessories are running if the measurement was made right at the battery, but once in READY there is no reason for any subsequent voltage drop - thus negating this as a cause of the errors appearing while driving.
kiev wrote:...This much sag indicates the battery is weak or worn out. It's at least 5 years old so i think it has given good service....
Um, maybe not...I just ran out to the garage and here are my 12v battery readings right at the battery (I have a fused Anderson connector on each car's battery), and I didn't bother with the READY voltage - these are all original batteries in early 2012 cars:

Mitti
OFF ==> 12.96v (about an hour since it was last run)
ON ==> 12.25v (radio, GPS, dashcam, low fan ON)

Moto
OFF ==> 12.69v (about 1/2-hour since it was last run)
ON ==> 12.02v (radio, GPS, low fan ON)

Mitsi
OFF ==> 12.76v (about 20 hours since it was last run)
ON ==> 12.20v (radio, GPS, low fan ON)
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:02 pm

If you use the EVBatMon app, you can use IGCT voltage to monitor 12v voltage.

I remember reading about the old RAV4-EVs and all kinds of weird issues that were all traced back to a bad 12 volt battery. Didn't someone on here try disconnecting the 12 volt battery while READY and get the same error lights?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

kiev

Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Howdy Joe, i'm willing to be wrong about all that, just trying to make sense of readings, etc.

i measured the specific gravity at 1.200, then corrected for temperature as 1.207. The battery voltage was 12.89...? Seems something is not in line.

i don't have a 130 Amp load device but i may take it to the corner autoshack and let them test it.

i put it under 6A load and it dropped to 11.7.

Our cars don't put the high cranking amp loads on the battery so they may last longer than typical starter batteries.

When in READY, or when parked on the EVSE, the battery voltage measured 14.4

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm a firm believer that a weak battery causes all sorts of errors - The only ones I've ever experienced. Replaced the battery and all has been normal ever since

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Return to “General Technical Discussions”