Body damage

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
Bound to happen sooner or later. Some idiot at Wal-Mart just blasted my passenger door and left a small dent.

(Pic link soon)

Anyone priced touch up paint? All I can find on eBay is Cool Silver Metallic.

This thread is open to stories and fixes.

Silver is especially hard to match - Been there done that, though the guy who backed into us was in a Best Buy parking lot. I would forget about the factory touch up paint - It wouldn't do well on a 4 year old car anyway

The usual procedure is to paint the entire door and then fade the paint halfway into the rear door and halfway into the front fender. An experienced bodyman can make the repair unnoticeable, even though the shades of silver may be off a bit

Don

No, this was on Bear, Diamond White Pearl.

Roughly dead center of both pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/enrdtcne1k4ts20/AADux7c4odCXZW3klsXNtNloa?dl=0

Hello PV1, sorry for the damage.

We got rear ended two month after getting our new white 2016 imiev (the bumper was only scuffed).

In early spring we got stone damage on the rear body frame that surrounds the door (the part of the cars body that sticks out when the door is closed, beside the fixed rear window).

We searched the web and ended up buying from Automotive touch ups. ( made in USA :) )

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/mitsubishi/2015/i-miev/

They have all the imiev colours (except the purple).

The white is a bitch to do because you have 3 layers: base white , sparkle white cream top colour, and a clear coat.

We're happy with the results.

The tough part is the amount of sparkle cream to put, you apply the base white and it's like nope this won't work, but then you apply the top coat and it's like wow, that's the colour alright ... Just like magic.

We bought 2 ounce bottles for future touch-ups, but you can get it in pen or spray cans format.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Thanks. I think I'll order the pen as it is a small patch of paint missing. I'll let you know how it turns out.

PV1 said:
Bound to happen sooner or later. Some idiot at Wal-Mart just blasted my passenger door and left a small dent.
One more reason to continue to boycott WalMart ;)

Aerowhatt

I hear that. Unfortunately, Giant Eagle is too expensive (and the Fuelperks are useless to me :p ), and WalMart knocked out a ton of local small business. I guess that leaves Target and Shop N Save.

You can do what I did........ there was a scratch on the back door when I got it. I put an Oloff sticker on it. The kids who drive by love it and it makes them smile :) :) :)

tigger19687 said:
You can do what I did........ there was a scratch on the back door when I got it. I put an Oloff sticker on it. The kids who drive by love it and it makes them smile :) :) :)

I did an Internet search on that Oloff name and nothing came up. What is it?

:?:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oloff&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQ_deqnorPAhXJbD4KHQ61CsIQ_AUICSgC&biw=1350&bih=760&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=olaf+frozen

From the Disney movie Frozen.

Paint pens arrived. They shipped a base coat and a mid coat, and I also ordered a clear coat pen just in case.

One day this week I'll hopefully get it fixed.

I hope the pens work better than the small brush I used. My car came with a couple of wide (but not deep) scratches on the rear plastic bumper. The plastic is a black color that stood out as a real eyesore on an otherwise new looking car. The paint I ordered was "cool metallic silver" but close up it looked like I applied gray colored bird droppings to the surface. From a distance it looks good but the bumper still looks like I need a car wash. It's still a big improvement over black colored scratches.

That's the problem with metallic/pearl paints. There are two paint layers and a clearcoat. You're likely missing the metallic mid-coat.

Not really body damage, but I found a nasty gouge in my windshield as I was washing Bear :evil: . Something big bounced off the windshield traveling from the driver's side to the passenger side. The earliest I remember seeing something on that part of the windshield was heading back to the cabin after parking on the street in Salem, Ohio. I don't know if a truck kicked up a rock or what happened, but I don't recall hearing or seeing anything hit the windshield while driving.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/633xbe5wf591k9c/Photo%20Sep%2023%2C%207%2058%2028%20PM.jpg?dl=0

(Really starting to hate owning a car in this part of the country.)

Wow, amazed something that big n bad didn't crack it, but probly won't survive the winter. My third windshield succumbed to a tiny nick that cracked out this August, months after the rock hit. :roll: That's less than 27000 miles per piece of glass for me, though I'll wait out the winter on this crack.

I finally tried to touch up my door ding, didn't go so well. I can't seem to get the paint to lay right, plus it doesn't match (even the mid-coat is too white). So now it looks like I put a dab of White-out on the side of the car :x :cry: . I even made sure to park towards the car on my driver's side that day. I could swing both of my doors all the way open and not hit either car :evil: .

Before touching up the paint, I took the door apart to try to push out the dent, but I couldn't find it on the inside. Apparently, there's a structural weld to the outer skin right where it hit. If it would've hit lower on the door, below the crease, the skin would've likely flexed and not taken more than the clearcoat off.

PV1 said:
...I took the door apart to try to push out the dent...
Have you tried rubbing it with dry ice? I've been told that this is a standard technique on cars that have been damaged by hailstones. Haven't tried it myself, but on my list of things to try on some of the dings on my iMiEVs.

Back