Easycarex

Reviving Non-Op UK Auction Sibling

Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:02 am

I bought a non running Citroen c0 at auction in Edinburgh last week.
Am trying to get it going, taken it to our friendly Mitsubishi Dealer in Aberdeenshire where they have run diagnostics on it.
Mithubishi technical have come back saying the cabin heater unit is faulty and stops the "ready" signal. I find it difficult to imagine why they made startup dependant on a functioning plugged in cabin heater
Mitsubishi quoted a price of £ 1500 for a new heater.
Was going to try swapping my iMiev's heater over and seeing if that worked.
There must be a car breaker somewhere who would sell a heater unit to me for a sensible price

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Technical

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:03 am

I guess that's how Mitsubishi sells their cars cheaper, by making parts more expensive.

Perhaps you may be able to just unplug all the connectors from the heater and insulate them well to keep water and dirt from getting in them, then try starting the car again. The heater is located above an undercarriage shield just ahead of the battery. There shouldn't be any high voltage present as long as the car is off and unplugged. For added safety, you should disconnect the 12 volt battery.

If the heater has an internal short, it may cause an over current fault on its high voltage circuit, so the car doesn't start (heater, AC compressor, and motor inverter all get high voltage through one pair of contactors ).

As for a cheaper place to get a heater, the only option may be to get one from a wrecked car.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

Easycarex

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:10 am

Tried disconnecting heater unit but car still won't power up
Somebody on the forum must know of a source of parts from a wrecked imiev somewhere in the EV motoring world.

DonDakin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:48 am

Stan posted a video where he removed the Electric water heater from the car and swapped in a diesel one. In the video there is some information about adding some resistors on the water heater connector to get things working. Perhaps this will help you to figure out the problem.

http://youtu.be/q0QJLANDl5k

Don......

Easycarex

Re: Faulty Heater Immobilizes i-MiEV

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Is there anyway of getting in touch with Stan, would buy his old resistive heater.
Will try and connect 2 100 ohm resistors across the three terminals as shown in video before anything else.
Thanks for the help

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Easycarex wrote:Is there anyway of getting in touch with Stan, would buy his old resistive heater....
He's moved from the US to the Czech Republic, but has taken his i-MiEV with him. Might try sending him a PM.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

DonDakin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:19 pm

If you can get the car up and running with the resistors i would suggest forgoing the electric heater and going with a diesel one if you live in a place where it gets really cold.

Its nice to have both but given the situation you could get a new diesel heater for about $600 i think from alibaba.

Anyways something to think about. There is a nice thread on the forum about fuel heaters in the imiev.

Good luck i hope you get a ready light....

Btw

I was chatting with the imiev mechanic during one of the serivce recalls and he did mention a faulty ac unit that caused a short and disabled someomes car. So at least in one case this was possible.

Don.....

kiev

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:06 pm

After watching the video and looking at the schematic, it looks like the 100 kOhm resistors are used to send a water temperature measurement (~15 C) to the AC/heater ECU.
Last edited by kiev on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

DonDakin

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:43 am

The resistors are 100 k ohms and it looks like they are used for the heater inlet and outlet temp sensing.

As far as i can tell there is no can bus going to the heater. There is a can bus going to the a/c.

Below is a reference for this:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/on ... dex_M1.htm

Don.....

kiev

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:11 am

OP: Can you get the diagnostic trouble code numbers from the mechanic--be interesting to see what led to that conclusion
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Return to “General Technical Discussions”