PTC Heater missing

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b3magik

Hi all
I've just bought Peugeot I-on(which is actually I-miev) and realized that the PTC heater has been removed. I wanted to top up the water tank under the bonnet and noticed that everything is on the floor. I took the bottom cover off and there is no heater!!! I will probably install webasto system instead but not sure if I can drive the car or charge it without this element. Is this being used only for heating or it has any other functions too. I just do not want to damage the car.
Many thanks
Tom

Well, that's a first :| .

The car should operate just fine without it, but I would be worried the exposed 350+ volt connector under the car. I wouldn't drive it in its current condition.

You could contact Peugeot/Mitsubishi about the (likely absurd) cost for a new heater, but I would first go back to where you bought the car from and point it out to them. If all else fails, search for a wrecked iOn/i-MiEV/C-Zero and scavenge the heater from it.

PV1 said:
Well, that's a first :| .

The car should operate just fine without it, but I would be worried the exposed 350+ volt connector under the car. I wouldn't drive it in its current condition.

You could contact Peugeot/Mitsubishi about the (likely absurd) cost for a new heater, but I would first go back to where you bought the car from and point it out to them. If all else fails, search for a wrecked iOn/i-MiEV/C-Zero and scavenge the heater from it.

I phoned Mitsubishi but they said they wouldn't recommend driving it but their technician wasn't sure what I'm talking about. BTW a new PTC heater is £1500+VAT!!!!!!

Ok. I was under the impression it was purchased as a used car from a dealer or private seller. I'd be interested in the story behind this vehicle. Except for the missing heater, what is the overall condition of the car (is it a fully functional, non-wrecked iOn with a missing heater)?

As long as the connectors are secure and insulated from water and debris, and as long as you don't have the fan on with the temperature knob in the red zone, I don't foresee any issues.

After your Webasto install when you need to use the heater, you will need to move the damper in the HVAC system to allow for air to flow through the heater core. To move the damper from the AC coil to the heater core, leave the fan off, and click the temperature knob in the red zone, then back to the green dot. Now, you can turn the fan on and have heat.

I suggest keeping the fan off while in the red zone just so the car doesn't try to power on the heater and give you an error code. We tend to err on the side of caution as these cars don't take too kindly to modification (example, ASC warning lights by simply changing the center brake lights to LEDs :roll: ).

I beleive martin winslow has one of these heaters. I remember a post about that. He is a member here and also over on the evdl.

There is also member here stan who removed his ptc heater and replaced it with a webasto. He might want to sell the ptc one.

If you cannot find one used then installing a webasto type heater is a great idea. It will be much less expensive then the oem one. And you have tons of other benefits on winter range if you live in a very cold climate.

Good luck

Don......

I'm collecting the car from the garage today and I'm going to drive without the heater until I get a replacement for it. Hope I won't damage anything.

I also noticed one more thing: when switch the ignition on the the lights located in the front bumper are constantly on(only the little bulbs not the halogens). Is this normal? In my opinion it isn't as it drains the batteries too(just a bit but still...).

Thanks again for all your helpful tips;)

The front lights are daylight running lights, a legal requirement for new cars sold in the UK (and Europe too probably). They have a minimal impact on range - I guess they consume maybe 10 watts between them, whereas the motor can consume 40,000 watts, so don't worry about them reducing your range.

Hi All

I have just installed the PTC heater but it is not working;( It looks like there is no power on the main orange cable). Is there any separate fuse for it? I checked the ones in the car and under the hood but they are all fine; also they are quite small and I would rather expect a massive fuse for this sort of current.

Many thanks

Tom

If there is a fuse, I think it would be inside the battery pack.

How did you measure voltage on the harness. If the car was off, there would be no power present as the main contactor would be open.

There is one 2nd hand for sale on ebay at the moment. Or by chance is that your replacement that you could get to work on your car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-I-miev-ion-c-zero-PTC-heater-combustion-heater-/321926337923?hash=item4af44e1583:g:jlgAAOSwo0JWJ9-O

Kurt

offgridQLD said:
There is one 2nd hand for sale on ebay at the moment. Or by chance is that your replacement that you could get to work on your car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-I-miev-ion-c-zero-PTC-heater-combustion-heater-/321926337923?hash=item4af44e1583:g:jlgAAOSwo0JWJ9-O

Kurt

Yep, it is my one.I now have two as at the begging I thought it is faulty PTC heater so bought another one but it looks the problem is elsewhere. I will probably end up with a webasto system.

Back