Service, Diagnostic Troubleshooting and Repair, MUT 3

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiev

Howdy, What do yall think about creating a technical forum dedicated to this subject or something related to the Service aspect? There are hardware related forums and driving, but nothing on service.

While it may not seem necessary at this time, it will become a vital and important resource as cars drop off of warranty and begin to throw trouble codes.

There are a lot of unknowns related to the use of the mut, e.g. Is a MUT session required if the BMS control unit is disconnected from the wiring harness, or only if it is removed for inspection or replacement? [does anyone happen to know the answer to this?]

Service:
Maintenance (dealer, diy, 3rd party)
Diagnostic Troubleshooting and Repair without MUT 3
DTR requiring the MUT 3

edit 6/24/2017:
i bought an iCarsoft i909 scanner, which is a clone of the MUT without the PC interface for reading the service manual, etc. It reads all the data from the control modules. It should be a good troubleshooting tool. Buy it now auction for $120 seemed like a good deal.

kiev, thank you for starting this thread.

Step 1: Purchase a MUT-3 with the latest i-MiEV software. I've seen some 'deals' on eBay in the past, but have no confidence that they have the i-MiEV-specific stuff we need. With my three i-MiEVs, I am definitely interested in purchasing an MUT-3 kit, and then would be happy to loan it out to anyone in the area.

I agree. Getting our hands on the MUT 3 tool and being able to properly diagnose the car may save us a lot of money and dealer visits in the future, as many of our new vehicle warranties expire.

I'm contemplating getting one to go with the service manual I purchased a while back (Thanks again, Alohart).

Bonsoir
I made a temporary exchange with somebody in england: Mut3 vs the tool from peugeot.

Mut3 needs some patience... it was made at the time of web 0.1 or just before....

It runs only on XP and only with a really old release of IE.
It is difficult (not user friendly) to choose the car's model.
It is very difficult to navigate from menu to item...

Good luck....

Xavier

ps: maybe I should contact this nice english guy and get back my interface (made at the time of web 0.8)
pps: about this kind of service tool, the one from toyota/lexus is really user friendly..... (but of course not usable for the imiev)

priusfan said:
I made a temporary exchange with somebody in england: Mut3 vs the tool from peugeot...
bonjour Xavier. Are you saying that the Peugeot 'tool' is an improvement on the MUT-3 and is compatible with the i-MiEV? Are there any other tools out there that would serve the i-MiEV (in addition to your excellent, but passive, CaniOn)?

Today, while picking up Mitsi (my original i-MiEV) that was in the shop for the latest recall and the airbag light (they couldn't find anything wrong so just reset it), I allowed as Mitti also had the airbag light, but that I had caused it by removing the seat. The manager was very accommodating and called the tech to come out and reset the light. The 'tools' consisted of a very rugged-looking PC, a small interface box, and the OBDII cable that he carried out to the car. It took him about a minute to do the reset (most of the time spent studying the screen and waiting...), and I had a brief chat with him. He volunteered that he couldn't get the software to run on a 'normal' PC (and of course I am clueless as to which PC operating systems are in vogue so I didn't know enough to probe that), but that the unit he has there works just fine. The tech then probed me as to how I like the i-MiEV as he was quite interested in it, so I gave him the salespitch.

Afterwards, the manager allowed as he wouldn't charge me for the light resets this time but that it is no longer under warranty. He said he wasn't worried and said, with a smile on his face, that eventually I would come to them for something they could really charge me for. :cry:

I probed him to see if there was any way around the MUT-3 for such a simple reset and he said "no", and I followed up by asking him if he had an MUT-3 I could buy - he laughed at first and allowed as I'd have to go to their tech school first, but when he realized I was serious he allowed as they had recently disposed of an extra MUT-3 they had had. :( Since, at present, the MUT-3 is the only game in town for our i-MiEV, I think I'll keep searching for a complete kit, including that obsolete PC.

Howdy Joe,

i think Xavier was trying to explain the obsolete pc element to you:

Mut3 needs some patience... it was made at the time of web 0.1 or just before....

It runs only on XP[windoze xp] and only with a really old release of IE[internet explorer].
It is difficult (not user friendly) to choose the car's model.
It is very difficult to navigate from menu to item...

kiev said:
i think Xavier was trying to explain the obsolete pc element to you...
I realize that, but Xavier's message came after I had talked with the Mitsu tech. :oops:

Perhaps we have a two-step process:
1. Latch onto the MUT-3 software and have a PC-savvy person try to install and run it, perhaps on an older machine using XP and whatever old version of IE. Don't even know if the PC interface is RS232 or USB and what that adapter box to the OBDII port is?
2. Latch onto all the interface cables and adapters and mate with an i-MiEV

Bonjour,
I think you have no choice but use the VCI (Vehicle Communication Interface) and the software from Mitsu....

On the following picture:
The VCI is connected via USB on the left computer (HP 15 inches screen).
The "computer" on the right is just for fun and for the scale...

mut3_underwood.jpg

@kiev: I have no idea about the Can Numbers, but after monitoring some exchanges using MUT3, I can say that the dialog with the car is not standard compared with a standard car.
Conclusion: it is impossible to use torque with specific parameters for this car.
Idem with Outlander PHEV to get infos on the HV part (and nothing is common with iMiev regarding BMU & CMU, so canion is not usable)

From the EvBatMon thread,
kiev said:
...i'm curious about how this all works and of course want to get a mut3 to figure it out...
I think many of us are also interested. How about a group buy, with Kenny being the retainer of the MUT3, so we can learn about the capabilities and then have a tool available to loan out to someone in trouble and facing an exorbitant repair charge by Mitsu? I'd be glad to chip in $100.

There seems to be many mut clones out there on various websites, and they may work for reading the trouble codes and resetting VINs and mileage when changing out boxes, etc. i just haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet...

But what i wonder is whether the pc is only used for accessing the factory service manual via some browser-type interface, for example to direct the technician to the troubleshooting flowcharts based upon the diagnostic trouble codes, to pull up the schematics and diagrams, etc. (which we can do on our own computers without the mut), or

if the pc is in control of the whole gig and the mut3 box is useless without the right pc, operating system and browser?

The mut3 is used by mitsibushi for all of their vehicles, not just the miev, so maybe there would be a large supply of them available?

I'd be interested in contributing, but mostly if we managed to get a real one with some sort of real support.

Thanks for sharing the manual

Did anybody get the MUT3 set up yet and connected to the car?

I am also quite interested in knowing if the MUT3 and software allows to adjust settings.

Looking to buy a MUT 3 diagnostic tool capable of clearing error codes for my imiev, C zero & Peugeot Ion. Don't want to spend any more than I have to. Any advice from members welcome.
Have got an old laptop and Windows XP.
Am breaking the ion for spares if anybody needs any parts.

There are members on this forum that have them and I am sure they will respond. That being said, there are different quality levels of the MUT 3 out there---some are really good clones and some barely work. The provided software is also the key. If you can find someone that has used one purchased (usually from China) that actually works on a car similar to yours---you're almost home free.

From another thread, posting here so it wouldn't get lost, although it's perhaps off-topic although related - iCarsoft OBDII unit which works with the i-MiEV. Still doesn't have the capabilities of a MUT3 unit, but it's a start...
gisli said:
Yes, the unit can read error codes and clear them. It has also the "read data stream" function where I can see values from all the sensors in the car. About the stored information in car´s memory, at least I have seen data from the BMS like the actual Ah capacity of the battery.
gisli, thank you very much!

Here's the link for the US site:
http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsof...antools/2012/201212/2012122912256kg3yn_1.html

I read a little more and looks like one needs a PC to interact with this device.

JoeS said:
From another thread, posting here so it wouldn't get lost, although it's perhaps off-topic although related - iCarsoft OBDII unit which works with the i-MiEV. Still doesn't have the capabilities of a MUT3 unit, but it's a start...
gisli said:
Yes, the unit can read error codes and clear them. It has also the "read data stream" function where I can see values from all the sensors in the car. About the stored information in car´s memory, at least I have seen data from the BMS like the actual Ah capacity of the battery.
gisli, thank you very much!

Here's the link for the US site:
http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsof...antools/2012/201212/2012122912256kg3yn_1.html

I read a little more and looks like one needs a PC to interact with this device.

I used the device alone with no computer connection. Its USB connector is only to upgrade the firmware.

It's hard to find out who makes the iCarsoft version and which ones are real vs fakes. And who to deal with to get one...

The US site doesn't seem to be functional--i was not able to send a message and the phone number got forwarded 3 times and was not working, and no response from direct email either.

~ khouse$ whois icarsoft.com
Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain Name: ICARSOFT.COM
Registrar: BEIJING INNOVATIVE LINKAGE TECHNOLOGY LTD. DBA DNS.COM.CN
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 633
Whois Server: whois.dns.com.cn
Referral URL: http://www.dns.com.cn
Name Server: NS13.DNS.COM.CN
Name Server: NS14.DNS.COM.CN
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 15-may-2017
Creation Date: 15-nov-2011
Expiration Date: 15-nov-2017

Looking at the webpage for submitting a message online, it wants to send it to www.zglantu.com, which looks like it has expired (maybe why not working):

~ khouse$ whois zglantu.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: ZGLANTU.COM
Registrar: HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 420
Whois Server: grs-whois.hichina.com
Referral URL: http://www.net.cn
Name Server: EXPIRENS3.HICHINA.COM
Name Server: EXPIRENS4.HICHINA.COM
Status: redemptionPeriod https://icann.org/epp#redemptionPeriod
Updated Date: 31-may-2017
Creation Date: 23-apr-2015
Expiration Date: 23-apr-2017

Back