kiev

Re: Waste Heat

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:09 pm

That relay is in one of relay boxes on either side of the 12v battery, depending upon RHD or LHD
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

elekTrond

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 am

Interesting topic this. I'm also pondering around this, and other heat stuff. But for now I'm doing the fossil heater upgrade, with a Binar 5S running on the devil's fuel... :twisted:

Dani wrote:In order to do this I consider having a manual on-switch for the coolant pump.
Studying the diagrams of the car I learned there is a relay which activates the coolant pump and this be the coolant for the charging, mcu and motor. Anybody found where specifically this relay is located?

Oh, Dani boy, oh, Dani boy, oh boy, oh boy :lol: You must learn to master the MMC Manuals site. By looking in the workshopManual\70 -COMPONENT LOCATIONS\RELAY u'll find this:

Name Symbol/position
Water pump relay <LHD> B
Heater water pump relay A

PS! Someone should update the Tech ref subforum for rotten links, like this one: Mitsubishi Service & Maintenance Manuals

PPS! Oh well, I did report it - with correct URLs. :arrow: :mrgreen:
// elekTrond von Norwegen - '13 mjau (int.eng.: miaow, mew, meow) reg 9/2012 - 750W@48V->52V BBS02

Dani

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Status update on using the waste heat in the cabin as winter season is coming to an end.

Most heat is reused when the charger is working. Whether the AC charger while connected to evse or while driving and the DC charger charging the aux battery.

This has proven possible and pleasant if being in the situation PV1 described about being at an AC charger on a cold winter night on the way home. This solution offers a bit of heat in the cabin and clears the windscreen.

Heat from driving is minimal unless speeds at about 50miles/h - 90km/h or aggresive accelerations where the mcu and motor offers a bit of heat in to the cooling(heating) system.

This setup offers much less heat than the HV heater or fossile heater. However I found it is able to keep the windscreen clear durin rain and even de-ice when stationary connected to evse (charging) along with the fan on max on the A/C.
------------------------------
"Accept yourself."

"Be the change you want to see."

"Beyond right and wrong there is a field, I'll meet you there."

jray3

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks indeed. I've been enjoying the side effects of mounting a battery charger in the passenger compartment of JRAY's Golden Arrow (83 RX-7 conversion, PbA), which spent the winter outside. Charger heat keeps the windows clear on frosty mornings, and was even enough to melt up to 1" of snow overnight. It's enough to make me want to relocate other chargers!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 76,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks for performing the mod and reporting back with results. I kind of figured that surface street driving wouldn't produce much heat, but highway driving would be where the mod is useful. A couple of years ago, I drove about 20 miles on the highway with outside temperatures below 20 F, and when I stopped at a convenience store, the temperature probe taped onto the coolant pipe coming out of the motor was reading 80 F with the cooling system un-modified.

Doing some testing over this winter, even one click of heat (heater temp about 90 F) kept the cabin warm enough to keep the chill out of the air. That was the main purpose of why I wanted to tap the coolant loop. But it sounds like unless one drives the highway a lot (I don't) or spends a lot of time at charging stations (which I usually don't), that this doesn't yield much thermal energy.

However, with the climate changing and the resulting trend of Pittsburgh winters getting more mild over the last few years, running the electric heater is becoming less necessary (it's either 10 F or 60 F outside).
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”