Vacuum Brake Booster

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackso

Hi. Uk poster here so please excuse the accent.
My brake booster pump in the boot (sorry trunk) has cracked and is making a lot of noise. Are they repairable or are there any from scrapped cars? A new one is quite expensive and our car was not covered under the recall.
We love the 2009 car and have had it a year. Bought it as an experiment and have done 12000 miles :eek: Electric cars are definitely a viable option here.

I'm not sure if that would be considered part of the powertrain, but is there a warranty left on the car? Unfortunately, we couldn't keep the old brake pumps when the recall was performed.

There was a 3 year warranty on the car and 5 years on the powertrain. The vacuum pump would be part of the brake system so would not be covered now :(

Jackso said:
There was a 3 year warranty on the car and 5 years on the powertrain. The vacuum pump would be part of the brake system so would not be covered now :(

I don't know what Mitsubishi is quoting but I would think this is something you can buy in the after market. I looked around and saw 12V Vacuum Pumps in the US for $250 to $400 dollars. I know that is still quite rich but it could be cheaper than the Mitsubishi part from the dealership.

Mitsubishi is quoting £400+vat. I suppose any vacuum pump will do if it is the right voltage because the car would control the pressure and power supply.

again a recall for that vacuum brake booster on the europeen sisters C-Zero & ion

It seems that almost all cars that had a recall last year in march/april 2013 are again concerned !

Seems that Mitsubishi Canada is getting pro-active.... recall also for you guys ;)

http://www.auto123.com/fr/actualites/un-rappel-sur-429-mitsubishi-i-miev-2012-2013?artid=171325

It looks like the U.S. is now getting this recall notice:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V522

Report Receipt Date: SEP 02, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V522000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,810

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (Mitsubishi) is recalling certain model year 2010-2014 i-MiEV electric vehicles manufactured September 15, 2009, to March 25, 2014. Due to either software programming or corrosion caused by road salt, the brake vacuum pump may stop functioning.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the brake vacuum pump stops functioning, the distance needed to stop the vehicle may be lengthened, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and depending on the affected vehicle, dealers will either reprogram the brake vacuum pump controller, replace the brake vacuum pump or do both, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Mitsubishi customer service at 1-888-648-7820. Mitsubishi's number for this recall is SR-14-007.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

jjlink said:
...REMEDY:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and depending on the affected vehicle, dealers will either reprogram the brake vacuum pump controller (JoeS emphasis), replace the brake vacuum pump or do both, free of charge...
Interesting, and probably not affecting our area as there is no such thing as salt on the roads around here. I've always been impressed by the i-MiEV's brake system and its incredible response to sudden braking (it has a pedal application rate detector). Hopefully, the software change has no impact on regeneration as, if anything, I would like even more regen in 'B'.

Were all i-MiEVs recalled for the first recall, or only select ones? I had mine changed out, but I don't think I'll jump on this one if I'm part of the group. Between regen, the e-brake, and the fact I hardly use friction brakes (don't we all? :lol: ), if my pump suddenly quits, I should be alright. Besides, there are two good pumps before the vacuum is gone. I'm back to driving the level route to work, and that helps, too.

Only some got the recall notice in the past.

Good thing my brakes work; a couple of days ago a bicycle ran the red light in front of three lanes of on coming traffic. I never had to brake that fast/hard before. Of course in that situation you hope the car behind you has good breaks as well.

I think they never swiched mine. It is from March 2011. Yesterday I removed that metal cover in the back to look at her. Is a silver one. But I was impressed with the amount of dust covering it and the other things (inverter, charger). Just have to remove the dust to see its color and its number. I think it is working perfectly.

It appears that all U.S. i-MiEV's are involved in the recall, but I haven't received a recall letter. If you're a U.S. i-MiEV owner, have you received this recall letter?

Unfortunately, my i-MiEV is an early U.S. version not involved in the previous vacuum pump recall. As a result, my i-MiEV still has the original vacuum pump which is much louder than the pedestrian warning sound. I would like the newer version which is apparently much quieter. But I don't live in an area that salts roads, so my vacuum pump won't have any salt damage. It sounds like my i-MiEV would only have a programming update. If your i-MiEV was not involved in the previous vacuum pump recall, was your vacuum pump replaced under the current recall?

alohart said:
I would like the newer version which is apparently much quieter. But I don't live in an area that salts roads, so my vacuum pump won't have any salt damage.

No letter yet here, I've asked my dealer for an appt though...

So Art, do cars in Hawaii not become rustbuckets from the 'salt air'? On the US Gulf Coast they rust out somewhat more slowly than in the salty road states, but up here around the Puget Sound, the cooler weather seems to keep that at bay, unless you regularly overnight in a marina.

jray3 said:
So Art, do cars in Hawaii not become rustbuckets from the 'salt air'? On the US Gulf Coast they rust out somewhat more slowly than in the salty road states, but up here around the Puget Sound, the cooler weather seems to keep that at bay, unless you regularly overnight in a marina.
The ocean and air temperature around Hawaii is relatively cool, certainly cooler than the Gulf of Mexico much of the year. So that lowers the humidity in Hawaii compared with the Gulf Coast. That probably minimizes the rust potential from salty air, but I worry a bit about how long my i-MiEV body will last because I don't think its body is particularly well-protected. Also, Honolulu is on the leeward side, so much of the air has passed over a central mountain range where the moisture condenses as rain before reaching Honolulu. However, I have recently moved to the east end of the island which is closer to the windward side with lower mountains, so the air might be a bit more humid and salty. Those who live on the north and windward shores do face salt problems that can cause corrosion.

I had no such worries with my aluminum-bodied Honda Insight. I wish that I could find a reasonably-priced compact EV with an aluminum or CFRP body. Except for price, the i3 would be a pretty attractive alternative for my climate.

My 2011 Citroën C-Zero got the vacuum pump changed as a recall (or "campaign" as they like to call it here) within the last two weeks as I bought the car.

further informations comming from Mitsubishi side, in fact Mitsu just launched 2 recall actions :

1) vacuum brake system (electrical relais, ECU, condensation water from vacuum pump)
http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/Recall/displayselect.do?orderno=13414

2) check & upgrade on corrosion of batterie fixation
http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/Recall/displayselect.do?orderno=SC156

For this 2nd point, a group of german customers have launched a complaint to Mitsu+Peugeot+Citroen ;)

sventchik said:
further informations comming from Mitsubishi side, in fact Mitsu just launched 2 recall actions :

1) vacuum brake system (electrical relais, ECU, condensation water from vacuum pump)
http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/R ... erno=13414

2) check & upgrade on corrosion of batterie fixation
http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/R ... erno=SC156
Your links appear to be incomplete (i.e., they do not include the "erno=XXXX" portion).

Hi Jackso - What happened in the end? Just got my recall letter last week. Interestingly enough, I thoroughly Waxoyled my iOn in the summer and noticed rusting to the battery pack mounts under the plastic belly pan when I took it off. I gave the pressed steel members a good internal squirting so it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes in time.

I also sprayed the motor, controller, charger - everything really - with some trepidation in case it got hot enough to ignite or something. I took it for a fast drive afterwards and nothing was getting even vaguely hot. A couple of days later I blasted (well, as much as you can in an iOn!) up the motorway 180 miles home and checked again halfway. Still no issues. It all looks so much happier with a good coat of Waxoyl - no aluminium oxidation etc. I did all inside the 3 ply spot welded cills and inside the doors, bonnet and boot lid, too. Stank for days but it's gone now.

No sign of any oxidizing of the brake booster but it's only done about 11k5 miles now. MW

Back