Front brakes stick after washing the I

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMiller

I generally hand wash our I-Miev in the driveway, then pull it forward into the garage, and let it sit over night before driving it. The first time I back it out of the garage after a wash, I find the front brakes seem stuck or rusted in place. I hear and feel a breaking-loose/snapping sound as the car starts to move backwards. I sometimes hear a scraping sound until friction braking cleans up the rotors after a few stops. I have noticed this a couple of times now.

The next time I wash the car, I plan to drive it around a little to dry the rotors and disks before parking it, to see if that eliminates the sticking. Has anyone else noticed their front brakes sticking after washing their I-Miev?

Dave
2012 black I-Miev
2012 black Prius

Absolutely, after every wash, rain, and even humid weekends.

Although, they still haven't stuck as bad as the Cavalier after buying the i-MiEV. The Cavalier sat for a week while I was enjoying my new i-MiEV, but when I went to move it and get it ready for my Dad to start driving to work, it refused to move.

Real common in any car after washing and letting it sit. Your idea about driving it after washing is the correct "fix". You need to drag the brakes during the drive for a bit (or some stops with heavy braking) to dry the water off the pads. The worst thing that can happen is to get a rust spot on the rotor concentrated in the area where the pad was sitting while wet. This can make the surface of the rotor uneven and cause a pulsing sensation when using the brakes. This same drill should be used if you have been driving in heavy rain---heat the brakes before parking.

Back