Rear windshield wiper removal

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alohart

It's not obvious to me how to remove the rear windshield wiper blade. I want to remove the rubber blade and its carrier from the wiper arm. The front windshield wipers can be removed by pressing a small tab which locks the blade to the arm, but I can't find a similar tab on the rear windshield wiper. I've looked in the Owner Manual and the Service Manual but did not find my answer. If you could explain how to remove the rear windshield wiper blade, I would be very grateful!

alohart said:
It's not obvious to me how to remove the rear windshield wiper blade. I want to remove the rubber blade and its carrier from the wiper arm. The front windshield wipers can be removed by pressing a small tab which locks the blade to the arm, but I can't find a similar tab on the rear windshield wiper. I've looked in the Owner Manual and the Service Manual but did not find my answer. If you could explain how to remove the rear windshield wiper blade, I would be very grateful!

This would be handy to know. My wiper rubber is starting to tear.

It's not real clear in the service manual how to remove the blade. However it does point out that the blade rubber can be removed by sliding it out of the wiper assembly. There are two (metal?) backing pieces that slide out with the rubber and need to be re-installed in the same direction they were originally in to provide tension for the blade. This doesn't look like a blade you can get from an auto parts store. Good luck with it.

Advance Auto Parts sells the rear wiper for the i-MiEV. I've bought two so far. It is really easy to remove.

Simply twist the blade around the arm and it'll release. There are two slots on the arm, one for the main pin and another for a guide. When putting the blade back on, make sure the bumps will line up with the grooves on the arm, put the pin in the slot and push it back into the arm as you turn it back to its normal position.

Sorry for my lousy explanation. Spin the blade on the arm and you'll see what I mean.

Right - I got a Trico 'Exact Fit' 12-B replacement wiper for a bit less than $16, at Advanced Auto Parts. If you lift the arm away from the window, then pull the bottom out away from the arm. There are dentented slots on the sides, which resist a bit, and then it pivots about 45 degrees. Then you slide it off the pivot.

Looking at the new wiper will help you see how to take the old one off.

61rYOkPo0aL._SX522_.jpg

Back