Insulation

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you read carefully, then you can see, that by insulating a car they fight against outside noise (like tire noise, wind noise etc) also.
Insulating doors, front lid and back lid did improve radio, heat and outside noise dramatically.
It is obvious, that you ćan not dramatically reduce the noise if there is no significant noise.

Kuuuurija said:
If you read carefully, then you can see, that by insulating a car they fight against outside noise (like tire noise, wind noise etc) also.
Insulating doors, front lid and back lid did improve radio, heat and outside noise dramatically.
It is obvious, that you ćan not dramatically reduce the noise if there is no significant noise.

It is a very silent car but the insulation makes it even more so. For example, the rear speaker grills are wide open to the outside door skins. That lets in cold air and some road noise. This is all new thinking in the building of automobiles. With ICE engines and their waste of heat, no one had to think about insulating a car for thermal reasons. EVs need to be fully insulated and possibly bring on double pain windows to help maintain the climate in the car (heating and cooling). This also helps reduce the road noise that is far more prevalent in an EV because there is no motor noise to drown out the constant buzz of the tires and wind.

MLucas said:
EVs need to be fully insulated and possibly bring on double pain windows to help maintain the climate in the car .
Some mfrs are now using laminated door glass rather than tempered panes. That makes the windows burglar-resistant and less likely to allow passenger ejection in a crash (but prevents their escape from a sinking vehicle :? ). I think that the windshield has a better R-Value (and defrosts more slowly) due to the polymer layer sandwiched in between the panes. That plus an interior film on the glass could make a thermal difference.

regarding heat insulation, I couldn't yet find here some pictures, so I post you my findings (thanks to Germany) :

Remove the plastic cover

DSCF0045%2520%2528FILEminimizer%2529.JPG

Then, 2 possibilities : unmount the rubber hoses and then empty the liquids, put insulation on hoses, remount the hoses, put liquids
or keep all like it is and put insulation around the hoses and heating element.

Here at is finished :
DSCF0053%2520%2528FILEminimizer%2529.JPG

DSCF0054%2520%2528FILEminimizer%2529.JPG

Mount the cover :
DSCF0058%2520%2528FILEminimizer%2529.JPG

Here the air flow temperature in °C after short time :
DSCF0066%2520%2528FILEminimizer%2529.JPG

I had my Ion to dealer some weeks ago and they did recall job on brakes and battery holders, while the car war on the lift I took the opportunity to isolate heater… now I got 10% more range very cold winter days in Sweden… here are some pictures on my blogg:

http://ackumulator.blogspot.se/2015/01/peugeot-ion-aterkallelse-service.html

Back