Rear seat handle has broken! Need help to fix.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llecentaur

Hi,
We were putting the back seats down to load up into the cargo area and one of the handles that allow to fold the read seat back panels have up, namely it is still attached but swivels without any effect and the rear panel is stuck at lower than 90 degree angle and can not be moved.

Of course the car is still under warranty but I was wondering if there is a quick fix I have not thought of to save the hassle to take it to the shop.

For now, I could not do anything as there is not enough room to put in a right angle screw driver to attempt tightening the Philips screw. The next step would be to take out the entire mechanism to access this screw which then makes not a "quick fix".

Thanks

I would let the dealer mess with it. Unless the seatback is upright you cannot remove the lower cushion or the bolts that attach the two seatbacks to the car. I never liked the "feel" of the handles that operate the recliners and it seemed like they would be easy to break if you tried to move them in the wrong direction. If if you were to get it apart there is still something broken inside and you trying to work on it yourself might make the dealer warranty shy.

siai47 said:
I would let the dealer mess with it. Unless the seatback is upright you cannot remove the lower cushion or the bolts that attach the two seatbacks to the car. I never liked the "feel" of the handles that operate the recliners and it seemed like they would be easy to break if you tried to move them in the wrong direction. If if you were to get it apart there is still something broken
inside and you trying to work on it yourself might make the dealer warranty shy.

So far I think this is the worst designed part on the Miev. These handles give both ways and it's not easy to figure out which is the correct way and it feels like this part is not going to last a few years.

Talked to dealer today.

I did not get a detailed description but apparently it is very flimsy, he was talking of a screw part that he had to weld down to reinforce it. He did it for both sides as preventive measure. He had to take the entire seat out...

Definitely a weak part of the car.

Back