aarond12

Re: LED headlights

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Don wrote:They're not called 'running lights' because it's illegal to drive with them on

This law is by state. Georgia is the same as California; Texas has no law against it as far as I can find.
2015 Nissan LEAF S

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 pm

2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

aarond12

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:22 am

Don wrote:http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.shtml#ParkingLights

So, as long as it's not nighttime (duh!) and not foggy (again, duh!), I can legally drive with my side markers and rear tail lights illuminated. I think this is a common-sense issue. If it's night time, turn on your headlights. If it's foggy, turn on your low-beam headlights.

For those days that it's overcast, I turn on my side markers and rear tail lights to enhance visibility even though I don't need headlights (either logically or legally).
2015 Nissan LEAF S

blownb310

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:29 am

Hi all,

I've been interested in the i-Miev since it came out but hesitated in getting one and ended up leasing a Fit EV. I have driven both at night and I feel that the i-Miev clearly has better lamps than my Fit EV.

I wanted to chime in here because I like the idea of LED headlamps strictly from an energy usage perspective. Now that daylight savings time has kicked in, my commute home from work is always in the dark. A standard halogen 55W low beam draws 4.5 amps each. The 60 Watt high beams draw 5 amps each.

Has anyone considered the PIAA LP530 driving lamps? They employ two 3 watt LED bulbs, [just 0.5 amps per unit] for 6000 Kelvin. Imagine going from our standard 110 watt low beam draw, down to just 12 watts! Theoretically, you could switch on your parking lamps and use these PIAA lights for your headlamps. There are two light patterns offered, the 70 deg. "Fog Beam" or the 20 deg. "driving" pattern.

I chose the wider 70 degree beams. Legality aside, will they make enough light for me? It could be, as I drive quite slowly on little used back roads for my commute. They could also be employed when your are in a bind for range coming home at night and could make the difference of getting to your destination or not. I am finishing up installation today and will let you know what I think of them next week.
Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:16 pm

blownb310, thanks for the link to these LED lights. I agree with your assessment, as I think our stock lights do an excellent job of lighting up the road and I've never had a lighting issue with my stock iMiEV headlights on my dark winding mountain roads, no matter what Consumer Reports says!

I see that these headlights are bolt-on with what looks like a flat face. Did you do an analysis to see if the reduction in power consumption outweighs the increase in consumption as a result of drag due to lower aerodynamic efficiency? :geek: After all, those bolted-on lights will now be on there 24/7 :roll:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

blownb310

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Joe,
It's funny you should mention aerodynamics because as a hypermiler, I am always thinking about it. In fact on long trips I fold in the mirrors. ;)

I finished up the install on my PIAA LED's and aimed them tonight. They aren't as bright as expensive factory LED's like SL model Leaf's have, but for their 3 1/2" size I am impressed with them and quite satisfied. I didn't have to drill any holes into the bodywork either. The plastic license plate mount worked just fine. I took my time and did a really neat job with the wiring as well. Just as with my gas cars, I plan to block of most of the lower grill now that winter is here and our cars have to push a little harder through the cold dense air. So the location I picked isn't likely to hurt aero. The lower grill block will actually improve it.

Mike
Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Beware of driving after dark without your headlights on - It's not legal in most (if not all) states

Years ago, I got a ticket in Oregon for driving with my parking lights on and my below the bumper driving lights instead of the car's stock headlights. I was going south on I-5 in a real blizzard and with the stock low beams lighting up all that snow, it was impossible to see more than just a car length or two even when driving at only 25 to 30 mph and I was scared to death of getting run over from behind going so slowly on the Interstate. With the headlights turned off and my Cibie driving lights on, I could see lots farther down the road even when going much faster

This 'logic' did not interest the officer at all - "If it's dark enough to require lights at all, then the headlights must be used" and he proceeded to write me up

It would be great to have lights which used much less current than the stock lights, but only if they also gave you superior lighting. Like Joe, I find the car has much better than average lights and I LOVE the stock foglamps. When someone finds something better, I'll think about changing, but I won't do it because whatever it is uses less energy . . . . only because it lights things up better than what I already have. It would also have to be something which doesn't bother oncoming drivers. I wish most of the aftermarket lighting I see coming at me was illegal and strictly enforced . . . . it should be because lights which blind oncoming drivers aren't good for anyone. Unfortunately, Mississippi's vehicle inspection program is a complete joke - If your lights light up at all, you pass, no matter that they're illegal lights and also improperly aimed

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White

shifttrans

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Don't the headlights draw electricity from the auxiliary battery? So it really doesn't affect range? Or do the mains have directly recharge the aux battery when it gets low?

Also, all this talk about how great the fog lights are. I was so envious that I went out and bought an OEM kit to upgrade my lights. Little did I know the fog lamps were hidden behind the DRL lamps! Doh! :roll:

So, does anyone care to buy my brand new, never used OEM kit? It even comes with the steering wheel stalk and instructions. $200 plus shipping. That's what I paid for it. I think the dealer sells them for $395. I heard they work great. ;)

Merry Christmas! -John

alohart

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:41 pm

shifttrans wrote:Don't the headlights draw electricity from the auxiliary battery? So it really doesn't affect range? Or do the mains have directly recharge the aux battery when it gets low?

The 12 v. battery is recharged by the large traction battery pack, so all 12 v. loads will very marginally reduce range.
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:07 pm

shifttrans wrote:Don't the headlights draw electricity from the auxiliary battery? So it really doesn't affect range? Or do the mains have directly recharge the aux battery when it gets low?
The headlights (and all other 12 volt loads) are directly powered by the DC to DC converter, so every watt of 12 volt load is one more watt drawn directly from the traction battery, and is one less watt you have to move the car

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White

Return to “General Technical Discussions”