markweatherill

LED headlights

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 am

Does anyone have the LED headlights? I wonder how they compare with the regular ones.

Vike

Re: LED headlights

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:17 am

When you say "the LED headlights", this seems to imply that was an available option on the car. As far as I know, it wasn't. The only LED headlights I've heard of are aftermarket. Folks have talked about it here, not sure how many followed through and bought them; Google "LED headlights site:myimiev.com" for relevant threads (this site's Search function being inoperative).

While I understand the tech appeal, they're hideously expensive (one of the reasons Nissan dropped them for the new base trim LEAF S) and hardly seem worth it to me - the energy savings don't matter much in the context of pushing around a ton of car, and both the main projector lamps and the foglights work very well. Then again, I'm much less "tinker-y" than long-time EV enthusiasts, who've been rolling their own (or at least seriously contemplating it) for years, so I wouldn't presume to spoil anyone's fun.
Last edited by Vike on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Don
Site Moderator

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:10 am

I like the bright 'instant on' brake lights and turn signals (I even converted my antique '79 CBX with them) almost as much as I LOVE my incredible halogen beam headlights - Personally, I wouldn't think of changing a thing on my car

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Llecentaur

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Well, I installed Xenon 35 W and find them extremely useful.

Since I have them, I mostly drive with them on all the time and less people cut the path because of the obvious visibility. Once I saw my wife drive the i on the highway while I was crossing it over a bridge and these headlights are definitely a plus to make such a small car have more presence, hence we feel more secure in it for other people's inadvertence.

Vike

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Llecentaur wrote:Well, I installed Xenon 35 W . . . . and these headlights are definitely a plus to make such a small car have more presence, hence we feel more secure in it for other people's inadvertence.

Fair point. Sounds a lot like my reasoning for installing the optional DRL/foglights on my ES - it definitely helps to be seen. But for my purposes, the stock halogen projectors work great, and the foglights are quite impressive (as opposed to the practical joke "foglights" on our '05 Prius).

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Yes, the fog lights are GREAT!

Having the DRL's on whenever the headlights aren't on is reason enough to have them I think, but for night driving, I use the fog lights virtually 100% of the time. I have much larger fog lights on another car which do not work nearly as well as those on the iMiEV. The way they light up the road and shoulders within about 50 feet in front of the car is really impressive and I've got so used to them that I feel nearly blind when I'm not using them

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White

aarond12

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:01 am

One thing that ES owners may not know: If you leave your running lights on all the time (not the headlights), they will turn off and on automatically with the key. There's a long beep when you turn off your car, but that's it.
2015 Nissan LEAF S

Vike

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:09 am

aarond12 wrote:One thing that ES owners may not know: If you leave your running lights on all the time (not the headlights), they will turn off and on automatically with the key.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I was under the impression I can't turn off the DRLs at all.

To clarify, the DRL/fog lamps each contain two bulbs. The lower powered DRL bulb basically lights up the fixture itself, making the car more visible to other drivers (which is the general idea behind DRLs) - I believe these turn on whenever the car is put in gear. The bulbs for the fog lights are much higher powered, and they're only turned on when manually activated. I don't use them very often (we don't get much fog or snow and roads around me have streetlights, but they're quite handy in unlit areas), but as I recall they automatically turn off whenever the car or the headlights are powered down (I just leave my headlights on AUTO, so don't pay too much attention), and need to be manually turned back on when wanted again.

I later realized aarond12 might be referring to the parking lights (sometimes called running lights, which gets a little confusing in a conversation that was also about Daytime Running Lights, or DRLs). The i-MiEV actually has pretty cool parking/running lights (a small white lamp lighting up near the projectors in addition to the usual array of red and yellow signal lamps), but I rarely see them, since as noted I just use AUTO, which I believe goes from OFF to full headlights without ever passing through a parking/running light phase.

aarond12

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Vike wrote:I later realized aarond12 might be referring to the parking lights...

Yep. Sorry about the confusion. I never understood why they're called "parking lights". Hell, "running lights" makes even less sense. :lol:
2015 Nissan LEAF S

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 pm

I think they're called parking lights because they were once used specificially to warn other drivers of a parked car near the roadway

They're not called 'running lights' because it's illegal to drive with them on

California Vehicle Code

24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking
lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal
lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

24801. Parking lamps are those lamps permitted by Section 25106, or
any lamps mounted on the front of a vehicle, designed to be
displayed primarily when the vehicle is parked.

24802. No lights need be displayed upon a vehicle which is:
(a) Parked off the roadway and not in a hazardous position on the
highway; or
(b) Parked with a wheel within 18 inches of a curb; or
(c) Parked within a business or residence district with a wheel
within 18 inches of a curb or edge of the roadway.

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White

Return to “General Technical Discussions”