RobbW

Transmission clunking noise?

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 am

Does anyone else get a "clunk" sound when they shift their i-MiEV back into Park after returning from a drive? It doesn't happen all the time for me. I'd guess around 30% of the time. It's pretty loud and obvious. It kind of worries me that something might be wrong with the transmission.
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

BarryP

Re: Transmission clunking noise?

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am

RobbW wrote:Does anyone else get a "clunk" sound when they shift their i-MiEV back into Park after returning from a drive?

Yes. And it didn’t sound good. Maybe other miev’s are slightly different.
My sound comes if the brake pedal is lifted within a few ms after I put it into P. So to stop the clunk, I wait 2 seconds before I lift up and off my brake pedal (after it’s in P).

Happy cruising,
-Barry
Bought iMiev June 6, 2013, Now leaving electrons in my wake @ ~1000miles/month
Original owner Prius 2002 275,000+ miles
Original owner Prius 2009 125,000+ miles

aarond12

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 am

RobbW wrote: So to stop the clunk, I wait 2 seconds before I lift up and off my brake pedal (after it’s in P).

I think it's the park lock. If I'm on a level surface, sometimes the clunk will happen immediately, sometimes as I'm getting out of the car (jostling it a bit with my fat, American ass). Many drivers of automatic vehicles rely exclusively on the park lock to keep their car from moving, rather than using the parking brake.
2015 Nissan LEAF S

RobbW

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:38 am

Mine happens as I'm shifting into park. I'll pay better attention when I'm parking from now on to see if I can determine the conditions that cause the clunk. Sometimes I engage the parking brake before shifting into park; sometimes I engage it after I shift into park. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and run the shifter all the way up into park really fast. Other times I'm slower and more deliberate. I can't remember off-hand when it usually happens. So, I'll just have to pay close attention here on out.

Would constantly shifting between all the drive modes and neutral while your driving have any effect on the transmission? Could I be messing up some mechanical component?
Last edited by RobbW on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

RobbW

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 am

I'm in the habit of using my parking brake in addition to the park lock. Someone told me years ago that it would help save wear and tear on your transmission as the parking brake will hold the weight of your vehicle and keep it from moving rather than putting all that pressure on the trans. I don't know if that is true or not, but it has stuck ever since. However, if my car is going to be sitting unused for an extended period of time, I will not use the parking brake. I will park on a level surface and only use the park lock. The reason for this is an experience I had last year when trying to sell one of my ICE vehicles. We had purchased our minivan and were trying to sell our Hyundai Tucson. Since we were driving the minivan all the time and I wanted to keep the Tuscon nice and clean, I parked the Tucson in the street, engaged the parking brake, and it sat there for a about a month, maybe a little longer, before it was driven again. Once we had a buyer, I wanted to take the Tuscon out to get it one last clean and vacuum so it was all nice and pretty for its new owner. I started her up, disengaged the parking brake, and put it in drive. When I pressed on the gas, the car wouldn't budge. After several attempts, the car started to move slowly but the rear wheels were seized up. With the parking brake engaged for an extended period of time, it had gotten stuck in the lock position. It took several cycles of engaging/disengaging the parking brake and then one final stomp on the gas to break the wheels free. Ever since then, I will not use the parking brake if a car is going to sit unused for a long time.
Clear Skies,
Robb

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 am

There is no "transmission' in the traditional sense of the word, as the motor is directly attached to the "transmission" and no shifting takes place. Putting the iMiEV into Park merely shoves a pawl into the drivetrain to lock it. The clunk is normal, and I typically keep my foot on the brake and engage the handbrake before putting it into P. Same goes for disengagement: I keep my foot on the brake pedal when releasing the hand brake when taking out of P to minimize/eliminate the clunk.

For long-term storage, the hand brake should never be set as the brake shoes can stick to the drum. I even avoid engaging the hand brake after driving in the rain for that same reason.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

RobbW

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks, Joe! Once again, I'm relieved to hear that my experiences are completely normal. I will be more methodical with my parking procedures to avoid this unnerving noise in the future.

I understand that there is no transmission in the traditional sense. The shifter is a software switch but Mitsu left the "shifting" in place to give drivers that tactile feel. I just want to make sure that I am not messing the shifter up at all with my constant shifting. I have significantly reduced my use of the service brakes by careful use of coasting and regen. However, I am probably shifting from N->D->Eco->B and back up through the gates more times than I can count during a driving session.
Clear Skies,
Robb

olagon

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Our "clunks" maybe 10% of the time. I think I first heard it when I killed the car while it was still in neutral then moved it into P and heard the clunk. It doesn't sound good when it happens. Anyone know if this is a poorly adjusted parking lock or normal?
2012 iMiev SE
Last two cars were both '95 biodiesel benz
Home & now car 100% PV powered since '09
Other car 2003 Forester...waiting to upgrade when Outlander PHEV is out :-)

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm

A lot of the time, the pawl either falls into place when shifted to park, or it sits between the cogs and the tires hold the car in place. You hear the clunk when the car is in park, and movement causes the pawl to fall in place (snaps into lock position). Quite often, I'll park, and it'll clunk when I get out. Other times it clunks when I let off the brakes after putting it in park. Usually, it doesn't clunk at all since I park on level. If I park on a hill, I set the parking brake before putting it in park. I hear people in other cars that don't do this, try to get their car out of park with a literal bang, and I can't help but wonder how the pawl lasts without getting sheared.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

olagon

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:26 pm

PV1 wrote:A lot of the time, the pawl either falls into place when shifted to park, or it sits between the cogs and the tires hold the car in place. You hear the clunk when the car is in park, and movement causes the pawl to fall in place (snaps into lock position). Quite often, I'll park, and it'll clunk when I get out. Other times it clunks when I let off the brakes after putting it in park. Usually, it doesn't clunk at all since I park on level. If I park on a hill, I set the parking brake before putting it in park. I hear people in other cars that don't do this, try to get their car out of park with a literal bang, and I can't help but wonder how the pawl lasts without getting sheared.

I've never heard of this before. Do all cars have this issue?
2012 iMiev SE
Last two cars were both '95 biodiesel benz
Home & now car 100% PV powered since '09
Other car 2003 Forester...waiting to upgrade when Outlander PHEV is out :-)

Return to “General Technical Discussions”