My UK i-miev broke down today - Easter Monday

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kps70

I left my car at my mother's house for the Easter break. When I left it there, it had 57 of miles on the range.
I went to collect it today after 3 days standing and it was dead. Central locking didn't work, indicated range was zero.
Could not start it, or charge it. The only thing that worked was the door open alarm.
I suspect that the 12v battery has died/gone flat. I had to get it taken away on a flatbed.
I have only had it for 3 weeks!
Here's the weird bit. When driving over to my mother's place, the stereo didn't turn on, although the red lighting behind the knobs was lit, it just wouldn't switch on. So I took the removeable fascia off. I think this strange problem has flattened the battery, although I don't know for sure.
I'll let you know the news when I speak to the dealer tomorrow.
To make things worse, my wife smashed our other car into the back of someone so we now have no cars!
Mitsubishi are giving me a courtesy car, but not an electric one!
I guess early up-takers are doing the testing for these cars!
Kieron

The stereo not turning on is a common problem. Check the fuse panel for a large, yellow flange around two fuses. Push the yellow piece in firmly, then with something non-metallic, press the fuses in firmly.

Since you've only had your car for a few days, the first thing I would suspect is the 12V battery is defective, especially since your locks weren't functional.

Sorry to hear about your car problems... I'm sure the dealership will have your baby back to you in no time.

The stereo was weird because I had led lights on the display, but no sound or display so fuse was prob OK. I had no means of jump starting as I was at my mother's. No news from dealer yet.....

kps70 said:
I had no means of jump starting as I was at my mother's. No news from dealer yet.....
kps70, thanks for sharing. When you do pick up your iMiEV from the dealer be sure to enquire as to the EXACT problem and its cause (and make sure you understand their answer). We need to build up our body of knowledge... :?

kps70 said:
The stereo was weird because I had led lights on the display, but no sound or display so fuse was prob OK. I had no means of jump starting as I was at my mother's. No news from dealer yet.....
Not necessarily...I had the same problem, was a loose fuse. Has your turn signal gone silent too? If so, there is one fuse that controls the radio display and the turn signal sound.

It sounds like you may have depleted your 12V battery accidentally, or it is defective...and you have a loose fuse, which have nothing to do with each other, but sure make a strange combination.

The car was returned yesterday fixed. Well, they couldn't find anything wrong with the 12v battery after testing it and no drain noticed on the battery when standing......
The stereo is now working.
Typical that it should sort itself out on its own! Suggests a loose connection somewhere, but I hope not.
I guess I will have to see if the same thing happens again with the stereo and when it's left standing for more than a day without being charged.
If it does, I'll restart the thread.
Anyway, I am really happy to have the car back; the £20+ of fuel I put in the 'ice' courtesy car for 100 miles of driving sure hurt!
Kieron

Glad it's running, but it's definitely frustrating when you can't get a proper diagnosis. It might turn out you have a faulty battery if it can't hold it's charge, but I'm sure they would've checked that at the dealership.

Back