Using the MiEV as a home power supply in emergency?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

I found this on Wikipedia .
"Emergency power supply
In the aftermath of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, Mitsubishi decided to introduce one year ahead of schedule a device that enables the i-MiEV to supply power to home electric appliances in the event of a power outage or natural disasters. The device provides 100-volt outlets, converting the i-MiEV's direct current (DC) battery power into 100 volts alternating current (AC) to power up to 1,500 watts, which is enough to power most home electronics such as a basic rice cooker, a small heater, or any number of cellphones, laptops and radios. Mitsubishi estimates that the i-MiEV total battery capacity is enough to provide power for between 5 and 6 hours, equivalent to one day of power consumed by an average Japanese home.[23][24] The device, called MiEV power BOX, is scheduled to be available by the end of April 2012, at a cost of ¥149,800 (US$1,800). The device plugs into both the i-MiEV or Minicab MiEV's quick charging connectors.[25]"

That's pretty costly for 6 hours of emergency power considering you can get one of Consumer Reports to rated 5500 watt gas generators for $800 or less, and you coul run it for 14 hours on 7 gallons of gas, and would not have effectively disabled your Ev for the duration of the outage.
On the plus side , compared to many gas generators it should give you very clean power safe for electronics.

Anyone here have any interest in this?

Alex

Any old 120vac inverter of sufficient wattage running off the iMiEV's 12v battery can provide enough power to keep a refrigerator going for the few hours of a typical power outage (be sure to turn ON the ignition key to activate the dc-dc). IIRC, the myLeaf website had some extensive discussions about this after Hurricane Sandy.

BTW, it's a good idea to peruse/search this forum before starting a new topic. For example, here's this one:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1111

Back