RBS, ! , turtle error. What was your cause and fix?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if there's something wrong with the EV-ECU. I've started my car with some low 12v voltages and haven't had issues, even when jumping it from a charger briefly when the battery was too low to even light the dome lights (including the LED lights, but they're all LED now) 2-3 times.

Between this and your quick charging issue, the common component is the EV-ECU. I would expect 12.4 volts from a battery of our size after 30 minutes of burning dome lights. Mine drops to 11.9-12.0 volts with the key on (not READY). It also was apparently jealous when I went to Harrisburg, as each time I went was when it decided to go dead on me :lol: .

It would be nice if we could read out the trouble codes or see if some are stored--back to needing the MUT.

i'm thinking i should repeat this experiment and see if it does it again--this sort of random intermittent issue doesn't inspire confidence.

i didn't think to measure the voltage with key ON, only at the accessory position, but next time will to see if it was getting pulled too low--that is the critical measurement anyway, the ev-ecu doesn't care about ocv only what is available for 'starting'.

edit, nov 3
Did it again this evening after a stop at the grocery store on the way home. Just drove in turtle for about 5 miles to a good parking lot to investigate. Ran canion, all cells even, no pack issue seen. After a bit tried again and it started into Ready, and drove on home. Something intermittent, the worst kind...

i've got a plug-in voltmeter ordered for the accy socket to leave it in and monitor the 12V all the time.

edit, nov 7
Did it again at the same place, same time, same store. Cycled key a few times and it cleared. Maybe it doesn't like me to stop at that store? i don't usually stop--start it and drive straight home. But it's when i make a half-way home stop that it sometimes trips...?

Hi! Sorry for opening an old thread.

Did you ever find the reason for your troubles?
I'm having the same symptoms.

Greetings from Norway!

A weak or old 12V starter battery seems to be the most likely culprit, so check that first. If the problem persists then a code reading will be the next step. The i909 reader mentioned earlier seems to be a good value and works for the Miev.

Just 'cause I like to press my luck, I'm heading into this car's sixth winter on the original battery (always parked outdoors, never had an issue). Guess I'll do a load test on it and probly start carrying the little lithium jump box.
I have an idea that regular use of the HVAC remote may prolong battery life. Though the dc-dc is offline while the car is turned off, it would certainly turn on along with the HVAC remote to power the hot water pump and hvac blower (and possibly the vacuum pump for damper doors?). That would provide up to 30 minutes of 12V recharging immediately before your first start of the day.

Back