Crash Test

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting - I had not seen that before and always wondered how the car would do

Not bad!

I always assumed that front seat occupants might suffer lower leg injuries, but that can happen with most cars. Impressive that the drivers side door opened easily after an offset crash of that magnitude

Don

It looks like the rear end crash test supports my conclusion (after my own crash test) in that the force appears to travel down in the rear to the lower frame rather than directly through and into the passenger area.

I do have some reservation about the leg area also. :roll:

We tend to drive in the right lane most of the time, but . . .

That video is of the original version. For the North American version they extended the front and rear bumpers (more crumple zone) and widened the car in order to put in additional side-crash-protection. Despite the really thin sheet-metal cladding, I do feel quite safe in my i-MiEV - especially, as it is very nimble and I've already avoided a couple of accidents with it because of that.

Carolyn had a minor fender bender in the car on Friday. She was in the right turn lane with her signal on about to make a right turn at an intersection. A guy in a pick-up truck exiting a restaurant about 100 feet from the intersection saw her turn signal and *assumed* she was going to turn into the restaurant he was exiting, so he pulled out right into her - 100% his fault and two witnesses told the responding officer so

Her right front corner hit his left front corner - Luckily, neither of them was doing more than 10 mph or so, but the little car needs a new front bumper cover, one turn signal and one driving/fog lamp. Repair estimate is about $2K

Her first bent fender in more than 40 years of driving - Well, there was that time about 20 years ago in our little '93 Mitsu LRV van when a drunk hit her from behind while she was merging on the freeway. That one shortened the car about 18 inches and totaled it

Luckily, we have a 'spare' iMiEV! :lol:

Don

Back