EV Charging Survey

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

This is a legitimate research survey by a University of Washington professor. It builds upon one he did last year, but is still overly simplistic, IMHO. I've suggested that he partner with PlugShare to assign "real world" journeys to wannabe EV drivers instead.
http://evchargingsurvey.com/
That being said, please take the survey. The results will be well-used.

Well, I did the survey, but don't get it. What's he after? The comment above about checking with Plugshare is right on.

I took the survey and I agree with jray3, as there are many more options usually available than the limited scenarios presented. Besides, the other variable is the hypermiling driver able to eke out more than the stated range in their test examples.

One of the things they are perhaps trying to get a handle on is the risk we are willing to take by giving us the probability of a charging station being available.

Hey, I've never yet seen turtle... hmmm, I wonder if the Tesla has one? :roll:

Done - weird scenario's. If I know that my total drive distance is well within my charge - I don't even look for optional charging opportunities.
But going for my first big trip next weekend - I will be looking for sure!!!!

I had information on this survey emailed to me by the president of our EV club and I took it yesterday afternoon. In the closing comment section I noted to them that they incorrectly referred to EVSEs as "chargers."

I did well on those trip scenarios, only "not getting home" once, because the make-believe L-2 in question was occupied. The real world scenario, of course, would be that the L-2 is made by Ecotality/Blink and has been broken for months! I've put almost 3000 miles on my i-Miev since buying it last fall and have done almost all my charging at home, overnight on 120V. My one out of town adventure, so far, was a single day 60 mile round trip, where I was able to park for about 6 hours at the destination and charge off a 120V outlet.

jray3 said:
This is a legitimate research survey by a University of Washington professor. It builds upon one he did last year, but is still overly simplistic, IMHO.
Without a doubt!!

I have no idea what the 'survey' is trying to measure or accomplish. If you told me it was designed by a high school student who has never seen or driven an EV . . . . I would believe you ;)

Don

Aw, Don, give them the benefit of the doubt and not try to second-guess them, as that's kinda the idea of surveys in that they're trying to burrow in on some aspect and don't want us gaming the system.

Here's some feedback from the professor on the previous (2013-2014) survey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTrKuRMCoXE

One other constraint that they imposed in this survey that I felt was unrealistic was charging time - in my case, I charge however long I need in order to make my next destination.

Judging by the number of people I know who have owned BEVs for some time and who have not ventured outside their very limited radius from home due to their range perceptions, there needs to be a massive improvement in people's math skills, or something...

PV1 said:
One scenario I didn't make, but I've always gotten home in reality.

Same here. The survey didn't have a method of comprehending the fact that whether I land on the low or high end of a 40-80 mile range is most dependent on how I'm driving at the moment.

Back