New York Times cameo 3-11-17

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

Quoted from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/11/...ars-hybrid-tax-credits.html?ref=business&_r=0

Still, electric vehicle owners in states pulling back on incentives are left in the lurch.

Alfred Richner, a financial services worker in Atlanta, vowed to go electric over a decade ago, when oil prices in the city spiked after Hurricane Katrina.

“In 2005, I promised myself my next car would not use gas,” he said.

It took seven more years for Mr. Richner to find an electric car he was happy with — a new 2012 Nissan Leaf. And he got a great deal — $26,000 before sales tax — from a local dealer desperate to get rid of the car, he said.

With the federal and state subsidies, he paid $15,500 out of pocket.

“It was solid, it was comfortable, it was futuristic,” Mr. Richner said. “And the dealer was willing to negotiate, because he couldn’t sell it. And then the dealer said Georgia had a $5,000 tax credit. I couldn’t believe it.”

A year later, he bought Mitsubishi’s i-MiEV electric car for his wife, again using federal and state incentives. (But his wife, who declared the Mitsubishi car ugly, now drives the Leaf, leaving him to make his 52-mile round-trip daily commute in the i-MiEV.)

He had planned to upgrade his Nissan Leaf in 2015. But that plan was foiled when he couldn’t track one down in Georgia before the tax credit expired.

“It’s a great car,” he said. “I guess by then, everyone wanted it. And then it all stopped.”

A version of this article appears in print on March 12, 2017, on Page BU1 of the New York edition with the headline: The State-by-State Assault on Electric Cars. Order Reprints| Today's Paper|Subscribe

jray3 said:
A year later, he bought Mitsubishi’s i-MiEV electric car for his wife, again using federal and state incentives. (But his wife, who declared the Mitsubishi car ugly, now drives the Leaf, leaving him to make his 52-mile round-trip daily commute in the i-MiEV.)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - my wife considers the i-MiEV adorably cute and wouldn't part with it for any other car for all our local driving! :mrgreen:

Back