2016 National Drive Electric Week

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

Although sponsored by Nissan, all electric vehicles are invited.

Any participants?

https://driveelectricweek.org/events.php?s=a16

** First, a request to the moderators: Perhaps this topic thread could be re-titled with a “2016” after “National Drive Electric Week” and moved into the “News” section? It might get more notice there.

Yes to this.

Several weeks before it occurred, I suddenly found myself acting as Tucson City Captain for the first National Plug In Day (NPID,) which took place on October 16, 2011. I think there were something like 39 cities involved that year. As the annual event grew in scope over the years and witnessed a name change in 2014 to National Drive Electric Week (NDEW,) our local Electric Auto Association (EAA) chapter became more engaged with this and other local opportunities to display electric cars to the public.

One of the pitfalls of latching onto a multi-city event - which is now international in scope - is that the weather may be marvelous in some locales but constantly miserable where you happen to live. The original 2011 presentation in mid October was nearly ideal for us here in the Sonoran Desert. But folks who were staging NPID events that first year in the northwest US were already dodging snowflakes. Consequently, the event started to move to late September in 2012 and finally to mid September in 2015. It’s still pretty hot here then (daytime highs in the 100 degree range is not uncommon) and the humidity is fairly intense, compared to the rest of the year. So, we’ve increasingly found ourselves emphasizing either indoor or nighttime activities. For 2016, we’re doing a combination of both.

We’ll be presenting the Chris Paine documentary film “Revenge of The Electric Car” on Saturday, September 10th, 12:00 Noon, at the (main downtown) Joel D. Valdez Public Library in the (inside and air conditioned) meeting room. Following the film, in the same room, we’ll be presenting a panel discussion with local electric vehicle owners and other special guests. Later that evening (much cooler then,) from 7:00PM to 10:00PM, the downtown comes alive with the monthly 2nd Saturday Downtown street fair and we’ll have our EVs displayed as part of that.

I’ll have my i-MiEV there as part of the Tucson Electric Vehicle Association’s (TEVA’s) contribution, along with other cars belonging to club members, which will include at least one home converted vehicle. Guests will include a representative from the Pima Association of Government’s Clean Cities program, who has a factory loaner of a Chinese-made BYD sedan (complete with a Mennekes plug,) a Tesla Model X (owned by the CEO of regional EV charging service, GoE3,) and an electric Zero motorcycle (from local dealer, On Any Moto LLC.)

Our tie-in with Nissan’s national partnership occurs with a display starting on Sunday, September 11 and continuing through Sunday the 18th at the Tucson Mall (yup . . . indoors and air conditioned!) We may have a couple other dealers - and brands - represented. But, as I write this, it’s going to be local Nissan Dealer (Thoroughbred) with an assortment of Leafs.

As far as i-MiEVs, we’ve actually had a presence with these cars each year at our local NPID/NDEW since 2013. TEVA member Ray Rogers was the first to lease one of these (from the Phoenix dealer) beginning in the winter of 2012. He was out of town the following fall, but loaned me his car for a couple of weeks (this is when the i-MiEV won me over) and I was able to bring it to NPID 2013 . . .

13_3983_W.jpg

Ray brought it back himself in 2014 and in 2015. Just days following the latter event, his lease was up and it went back to the Phoenix dealer. So, with my used i-MiEV purchase taking place in late 2015, I'll carry on the tradition of displaying one in Tucson this year. I should also mention that the TEVA membership currently has (including mine) 4 i-MiEVs.

Move and rename completed.

This will be year 3 for me and attending NDEW. In 2014, most of us met at the Electric Garage (now closed unfortunately) and had an EV parade down the highway to the main event. It was pretty cool. A group of people on Segway Tours even cruised through the lot where we were set up.

Last year and this year will be in Cranberry at Kohl's. It's a little more out of the way, but in close proximity to both CHAdeMO and Tesla Superchargers, as well as the PA Turnpike.

This year, a Brammo motorcycle is registered. Up until now, it's been the everyday LEAFs, Model S, Focus Electrics, and Volts. This will be the first Brammo that I've seen.

I'll have Gregg, the imiev, at the NDEW-Kalamazoo event. It's been really tough, being a part of hosting this while on the road or working hospice, but the local Kalamazoo electric car group has been filling in for me and doing great job.

Do wish other i-miev drivers would come out of the wood work, sing up and join us that Wednesday...

Ben

Incredible... we have four NDEW sites (two new) across the state. Whoo-hooo!!!

Two sites will have an imiev to represent reasonable driving.

Still wishing my Holland and Grand Rapids neighbors would come down with theirs,
but it does require some hypermiling and a single charge in Plainwell or Allegan.

Still, inspite of the Legacy Manufactuers blocking and resisting BEV's and range extended kin
ev's ARE happening. (and not a moment too soon.)

Our Leaf owning and DIY ev physics prof did a knock down drag out defense of electric cars.
The attendees were definitely animated and impressed with his documentation of an ICE car
data before and after he did a conversion. He has two more presentations to do. It will be very
interesting to see the response.

As part of National Drive Electric Week, there are seven event venues in the San Francisco Bay area, the primary one being the Silicon Valley chapter of the Electric Auto Association which is holding their 44th Annual EV Rally and Show at DeAnza College on Saturday September 17, 10am-4pm. Both my i-MiEV and Sparrow made their poster and I'll be taking them again to this event this year.
http://eaasv.org/rally/

Nearby, on Sunday September 18 1-4pm Acterra is hosting a Ride and Drive event in Palo Alto -
Acterra: Action for a Healthy Planet
3921 East Bayshore Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94303

All the Northern California events can be found here:
https://driveelectricweek.org/events.php?s=a16

Awesome!

We had our event yesterday. Bunch of Model S (I lost count), three or four LEAFs, several Volts (both 1st and 2nd generation), two i-MiEVs, and a Model X. I spent most of my day talking to the other i-MiEV owner, telling him about some of the tricks with the car (mainly how to replace the radio and add rear door speakers). I took several people for a ride (of course, NOW everybody wants an i-MiEV :roll: ).

I got rained out Friday night when trying to clean the car, so while I quick charged yesterday morning before going to the event, I used a bottle of Wipe and Shine to clean up the exterior, finished cleaning the dash and door panels, and vacuumed the car out (luckily, one of the stations had a 120 volt plug on the side). Again, the timing worked out perfectly. I went to ~96% and stopped it when I finished the exterior as I had to move to plug the shopvac in. Oddly, no other EVs were at the charging station.

Pix (including one showing the garage of my "Focused Friend" with both of his cars, another friend's LEAF, my car, and his quick charger at the far right):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/97ru4yttkoj3vsu/AABNsug9WTitS4TgnJudvunTa?dl=0

Our movie presentation and follow-on panel discussion on Saturday (see earlier post, above) wasn't very well attended. But, when we placed our cars at the nighttime street fair later that day, we had lots of people coming up to us the learn more about EVs. Nice turnout there.

But "the big story on Action News" (how many local market TV news outfits still use that unintentionally humorous lead-in?) . . .

I got me and my i-MiEV on the local NBC affiliate morning show! . . .

http://www.kvoa.com/story/33082752/tucsonans-celebrate-national-drive-electric-week

I share a little screen time with our local Zero Motorcycle dealer, Michael Battaglia, but it's pretty much "all Vanilla Jellybean, all the time" for the rest of the story. We even had the Tesla X out there and it only got a few seconds of camera time!

Note that the reporter, Zack Briggs (nice young guy,) confused battery life with battery range and didn't quite get the message that EVs really are environmentally cleaner that other forms of automotive power. This was pointed out by me and fellow, TEVAer, Sheli Weis, who is doing a fabulous job this year heading up NDEW-Tucson, in the article's comment section. But we usually get totally ignored when asking for media coverage each fall, so we're feeling pretty good about what we got this year.

Nice! That's probably the most airtime the i-MiEV has yet to receive in the US.

Though not officially part of NDEW, The Mother Earth Festival and EV show is coming up at 7 Springs outside of Somerset, PA. It runs from September 23rd to the 25th. As long as the road through Connellsville is passable (they got slammed with bad weather a couple of weeks ago that actually put them in a state of emergency), I'll have Bear out there Saturday and Sunday along with my restored Eaton charging station.

I, unfortunately, didn't get many photos of the 2016 Mother Earth Festival. I took one picture of a red Model X.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zc5e75w0ba97g8t/AABD55mgmd1uzQotqGrb2LtIa?dl=0

That was a fun event, though. I did the 57 mile trek up into the mountains in one shot, arriving with 15 miles RR and 4 bars remaining, enough to actually drive the 18 miles to Somerset (first five miles are all downhill leaving 7 Springs) if I wanted to, making for a possible 75+ mile drive on one charge (though I didn't).

I talked to a lot of people about the i-MiEV (the public is warming up to it now that people are semi-knowledgeable about EVs), a few of which sounded seriously interested in purchasing one.

On Saturday, we had:
3 Chevy Volts
4 Tesla Model S
1 Tesla Model X
1 Mitsubishi i-MiEV (mine)
1 Ford C-Max Hybrid (my parents')

On Sunday, we had:
3 Chevy Volts
2 Tesla Model S
1 Tesla Model X
1 Mitsubishi i-MiEV (mine again)
1 Nissan LEAF

Next year, it's rumored that an EV1 will be attending :eek: :mrgreen: .

Even though I didn't get any pictures this year, here are pictures from last year's event for your enjoyment:
http://www.threeriverseva.org/ecevroundup.html

There was an i MiEV at the Saturday event at the Larz Anderson Museum in Brookline, MA. Along with a bunch of Tesla's, i3's, Leafs and a couple of e-Golf's (including mine). There was a Smart ED and even a Fiat 500e - the first I've seen.

Back