PV1
Site Moderator

Re: New I-MiEV's --- Maybe, maybe not

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:59 am

Glad you're liking the new Volt. I've spotted a few around Pittsburgh, so the 2017's are definitely out there now. Much better looking than the 1st generation.

Delayed again? The Model X has been out for almost a year now (first one in Pittsburgh arrived at the end of December). Wasn't the Outlander supposed to be available first?

I guess there are 2017 i-MiEVs out there, but not many. I don't think anyone here has one, do they?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

Benjamin Nead

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:35 pm

News just out the other day from the European electric car blog, Push EVs, that new i-MiEVs are no longer available for ordering from Mitsubishi in Germany . . .

http://pushevs.com/2016/08/14/mitsubishi-i-miev-no-longer-available-to-order-in-germany/

One of the reader comments here piqued my attention, speculating that - now the Nissan has a controlling financial interest in Mitsubishi - the possibility of a rebranded Renault Zoe showing up on US shores with a Mitsubishi nameplate could be a viable i-MiEV replacement. That's just speculation, but I like the idea. For those who aren't familiar with the Zoe, here's a look . . .

Meanwhile, over on the Plug In Cars blog the other day, I - along with vike (New Mexico based i-MiEV owner who also posts here) - had to jump in and, once again, correct blog owner Brad Berman that the North American i-MiEV is not dead yet . . .

http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-promises-more-plug-models-again-132057.html

I'm wondering what going to happen when the North American i-MiEV finally does go out of production (will the 2017 model be the last one?) and it's officially announced. So many automotive journalists erroneously reported the car's demise last December that they won't know how to tell the story when it actually occurs!
Benjamin Nead / Tucson, Arizona, USA
Secretary: Tucson Electric Vehicle Association (EAA chapter)

North American 2012 i-MiEV SE / Pearl White /CHAdeMO
Aka: "The Vanilla Jellybean"
Purchased used in Nov. 2015 @ ~18,000 miles

phb10186

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:16 pm

A brand engineered Reanult Zoe is not an I-MIEV replacement in my books.

Other than a good piece of design, its not a car you can buy batteries for outright. It is a Reanult (which isn't a good thing historically), it shares a lot of Nissan technology - but it is unremarkable and does not do anything that well. It also has no CHAdeMO option either I believe. Other than European design flair, it offers little - certainly not as good a car as the I-MIEV.

If Nissan have any sense, they will make Mitsubishi in to the premium EV brand - as Nissan, I believe, are the least good of the Japanese badges since they introduced Reaunult DNA into all their Euro line stuff.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 21K
2010 Insight ES-T 64K
2009 RX400h 4WD - 86K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

wmcbrine

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:47 pm

phb10186 wrote:[Renault Zoe is] not a car you can buy batteries for outright.

That's a marketing issue, not a technical necessity. A rebadged Zoe needn't work that way.

It also has no CHAdeMO option either I believe.

No, it has a different kind of fast charging that I think is specific to Europe (three-phase AC). But that, too, isn't necessarily a fundamental property of the car. There are other model cars being sold with different charging standards in different countries.

Benjamin Nead

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Yes, agreeing to what wmcbrine is saying . . .

Anything that parent company Nissan would be re-badging as a Mitsubishi to be sold in North America will have all the electrical/mechanical protocol typically found here (J1772 for L1/L2, CHAdeMO for L3) and, of course, left-hand drive. No EV in the US, as far as I know, comes with a battery leasing option and there's no reason to believe such a sales model would be initiated now.

Also . . . anything that comes here has to go through all the US-based testing for crash rating, etc. It's FAR more complex than simply swapping the Renault badge for a Mitsubishi one and putting the car on a shipping container bound for North America instead of Europe.

Again . . . the thought of a re-badged Zoe is purely speculation: an idea I saw from a reader responding to a blog post. I'm actually quite fond of the existing i-MiEV's overly-tall bubbly styling (wasn't always, but it's grown on me over the years.) But if Mitsubishi decides they're not going to make it anymore. the Zoe's lines appeal to me . . . more so than the squared-off aggressive "micro SUV" styling I've been seeing on the company's EV concepts in recent years.

phb10186

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:19 am

The folks I bought the I-miev from replaced it with a Zoe. It is a very nice piece of styling, granted. It has a 'fast AC' charger which im that knowledgeable about, but I believe its a 3-4 hour charge at 6.6 KWh/ h.

It wasn't surprising that since Nissan and Renault had a tie up (and Renault had dabbles in EVs for a while - not hugely successfully) - that a Renault could fill the sub-compact EV space. UK buyers tend to buy on looks over utility, so it has been popular: a Euro styled small car to the Leaf, which looks very Japanese in style.

Maybe im wrong, that the Zoe could fins its way to NA as a Mitsubishi. Problem I always had with Renault is that they were plagued with mechanical and electrical issues (and diesel engine filter problems); so where the baseline reliability was an existing concern, the Electrical side would also worry me if you know what a Renault is like - perhaps Nissan electrics have solved that these days.

What would be a pity is if a car like the I-Miev were to be replaced by something that didn't live up to the old model. Since Mitsu were one of the pioneeres of EVs, it would be sad for a replacement to the original to be just a brand engineered me-too.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 21K
2010 Insight ES-T 64K
2009 RX400h 4WD - 86K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:25 am

I wonder if Tesla would be interested in adopting the i-MiEV. They wouldn't even need to change the name, just put "Model" in front of it. The Tesla Model I. It would be great for the ~$25,000 market. Obviously, the Model 3 takes priority, but after that.

Fastest kei car on the planet :lol: .

The Zoe isn't a bad looking car. If it does come to the US, I hope the electrical system is as solid as the i-MiEV's (a range boost would be nice, too).
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

misterbleepy

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 am

wmcbrine wrote:
phb10186 wrote:[Renault Zoe is] not a car you can buy batteries for outright.

That's a marketing issue, not a technical necessity. A rebadged Zoe needn't work that way.

There is now an "i" model, where the battery is included in the purchase price, so no battery rental.

It also has no CHAdeMO option either I believe.

No, it has a different kind of fast charging that I think is specific to Europe (three-phase AC). But that, too, isn't necessarily a fundamental property of the car. There are other model cars being sold with different charging standards in different countries.

The "rapid" charging is 43kW I believe, so not far off 50kW ChaDeMo speed wise.
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

Benjamin Nead

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:23 pm

PV1 wrote:I wonder if Tesla would be interested in adopting the i-MiEV. They wouldn't even need to change the name, just put "Model" in front of it. The Tesla Model I. It would be great for the ~$25,000 market. Obviously, the Model 3 takes priority, but after that.

Fastest kei car on the planet :lol: .

Done! . . .

https://autoblopnik.com/?s=tesla+4

:lol:

rkarl89203

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:09 am

Hmmmm...

It would be fun to have a detachable badge like that just to freak my friends out....

Return to “iMiev News”