New Sins and Old Sins...Mitsu Fuel Economy

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phximiev

Hope there's nothing that impacts us as iMiev owners, or for that matter, any other Mitsu owners:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/mitsubishi-s-shameful-cheating-risks-pushing-carmaker-to-brink

The i-MiEV's range rating seems accurate for the US, but I always was skeptical of their 98 mile claim before the EPA released its release.

I don't think this affects the i-MiEV, but I worry about what may happen to their presence in the US.

Worry is right; the timing couldn't be worse with the proposed introduction of the Outlander PHEV here in the US. Could there be a VW like drop in sales with this admission?

Reuters article suggest the mileage data on the i-MiEV was also manipulated.

Cacti

"Domestic media reported that Mitsubishi had submitted misleading mileage data on its i-MiEV electric car, which is also sold overseas. Previously disclosed models are marketed specifically for the Japanese market and Mitsubishi has admitted to manipulating their fuel economy readings."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mitsubishimotors-regulations-idUSKCN0XJ00B

I gave up giving credence to absolute numbers from the EPA when I learned that their methodology is to have the manufacturers perform rigorous tests and then arbitrarily knock the readings down by 30% (IIRC) to appease the populace. Anyone worth their salt can easily beat the EPA numbers, be it in an ICE, hybrid, PHEV, or BEV.

As far as efficiency is concerned, I thought that the i-MiEV rating is ok (even though I do much better on average) and that Mitsubishi was being conservative, but that some of the other manufacturers of BEVs (such as BMW i3 and Chevy Spark) provide numbers that are quite a stretch - with the uncontrolled variable being operation of the heater and aircon. I also have to wonder how aerodynamic efficiency is accounted-for when they do dynamometer testing, as Cd is an elusive number.

For myself, with the i-MiEV range EPA rated at 62 miles (100km), I'm content that it is a very good all-round number as, in general, I see 30-32 miles at 8 bars (1/2-full) in just my normal leadfootin' non-hypermiling everyday driving.

JoeS said:
For myself, with the i-MiEV range EPA rated at 62 miles (100km), I'm content that it is a very good all-round number as, in general, I see 30-32 miles at 8 bars (1/2-full) in just my normal leadfootin' non-hypermiling everyday driving.

I haven't owned my car for that long, but I get similar results. I have a 35 mile, round trip commute, about 1/2 on highways/interstates at 55-60mph.
Being a new owner, I was charging the car up to full every night, just in case.
Be that as it may, some mornings were quite chilly and I used the heat - which ran my 'tank' down to about 6 bars left at the end of the day. With some slightly heightened awareness at my 'small' tank, I have become more aware of my driving style. On days that I haven't used the heater, I commonly get home with 8 bars left. Sometimes with as much as 53 SOC - still plenty for erranding around in the evening.
And on the weekends, when we don't hit the highways, but spend the day erranding around on surface streets, I can drive the whole weekend without 'filling up'.
I would say that, in my limited experience, if someone was looking at the Imiev as their highway commuter, then the EPA range was probably exaggerated. But if they were towning (again from limited springtime experience) the 62 mile range is easily handled. Even with my heavy right foot -

More bad news:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1103540_mitsubishi-raided-after-it-admits-to-overstating-fuel-economy

Phximiev said:
More bad news:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1103540_mitsubishi-raided-after-it-admits-to-overstating-fuel-economy
"... the company admitted manipulating tire and air resistance to yield better fuel economy ratings... It is estimated that the affected cars overstate fuel economy by 5 to 10 percent."

Sheesh, Don, didn't you tell us that tire pressure effects were almost negligible? :roll: Wouldn't surprise me if some person did this alone in a misguided attempt to make their company look good. Quite a bit different, IMO, than VW and their purposeful deceptive programming of the emissions system resulting in real environmental effects. We'll see as this unfolds... in the meantime, I continue to enjoy our little workhorse...( or is it "workpony"?) for exactly what it is, irrespective of EPA ratings, although it remains to be seen if our US i-MiEVs are even affected. I kinda doubt it - anyone wanna bet?

http://m.leftlanenews.com/mitsubishis-woes-could-extend-to-i-miev-us-government-investigating-91586.html

However, now Japanese media is reporting that the Mitsubishi i-MIEV's fuel economy numbers may have been manipulated as well. Since the model is exported to the US, the revelation has prompted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to ask Mitsubishi for information regarding its models sold here, according to Automotive News. However, the NHTSA declined to specify which models it was investigating.

Gee, I hope this doesn't adversely affect the i-MiEV's sales.

2016-sales-chart-march-vfinal2.png

This news certainly going to bring the the tenor of online i-MiEV haters back to full volume. I did a quick Google search this morning under the "News" tab, with the keyword "i-MiEV," to see what was being said. It's generally not a thing of beauty. I logged a comment on the Left Lane News site that sums up my impressions of the
car . . .

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubi...i-miev-us-government-investigating-91586.html

Good comment, but I expect that the forces that be and the defamers/belittlers at large will have their day.

It's going to be a tough recovery for Mitsu.

Benjamin Nead said:
I logged a comment on the Left Lane News site that sums up my impressions of the
car . . .
http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubi...i-miev-us-government-investigating-91586.html
I threw in my 2¢ further down in the comments, as I distinguish between VW's cheating which resulted in constantly-higher emissions and Mitsu's testing to optimize EPA's fuel economy numbers. I mean, Mitsu admitted to messing with tire pressures... let's keep things in perspective.

I chipped in some chump change, too :mrgreen: .

I'm disappointed in Mitsubishi's behavior, yes, but I'm not furious, as my i-MiEV consistently beats the EPA range rating. It says 62 miles of range on the sticker, but I can do 65-70 miles pretty easily, and can get near 80 miles with some hypermiling, and still not aggravate other drivers. I'm totally satisfied with the i-MiEV's range and performance.

By the way, there are 2,200 i-MiEVs in the US, not 250. Not a huge number, no, but more than you think. Given that there was zero advertising by Mitsubishi and most "professional" car review sites borderline lied in their reviews, I think the car sold pretty well so far. The vehicle itself is an engineering marvel, and is possibly the most pragmatic vehicle on the road in the US. In fact, I like it so much, I bought a second one used for $10,300 a year and a half ago. Several other owners have done the same, with one owning three copies.

Phximiev said:
Nissan to buy Mitsubishi?

http://insideevs.com/nissan-to-take-30-ownership-of-mitsubishi/

I hope not, Nissan has to get sued in order to FINALLY honor Leaf battery warranties. Nissan is a bully of a company not one I would want to deal with whatsoever.

Aerowhatt

Hey, I'm just glad to get official confirmation that overinflating tires can increase range by 10%! Some folks still claim that overinflated tires reduce fuel economy. Lets see, a 10% refund of the original purchase price would be a conservative settlement, simply compensatory and not punitive. With that refund I could buy the lion's share of a second i-MiEV!

If indeed Mitsubishi is handed over to Nissan, I'd enjoy access to their dealer/repair network and perhaps we'd even get a reasonable price on replacement batteries (but no battery larger than what we originally received).

Phximiev said:
Nissan to buy Mitsubishi?

http://insideevs.com/nissan-to-take-30-ownership-of-mitsubishi/

The topic is really deserving of it's own thread. Nissan needs the PHEV SUVs, but may relegate Mistubishi Motors to a kei car manufacturer, much as Toyota did with Daihatsu.

Perhaps, but the article definitely refers the new and old sins, which is why I put it here. The 'sins' also appear to be the reason for the sale, perhaps compensation for damages or something similar.

Mart said:
The topic is really deserving of it's own thread.
This topic is its own thread.

I agree with Phximiev, the fuel economy issue is likely why Nissan is looking at taking over Mitsubishi. They want control of their supplier.

I do worry about what this may mean for US owners.

Back