2017 i-MiEV confirmed!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-i-miev-lives-on-for-2017-model-year-in-u-s/

Wow. This means full parts and service support through 2025. By then MR BEAN could have 200,000 on the clock and my youngest will be a senior in high school. At that point even the ol' skinflint will probably be ready for a vehicular upgrade, though it did take her 20 years to let go of the '92 Civic...
I wonder how an i-MiEV will compare to the 2032 models? :roll:

Yes, I'm lovin' it. Time to go to all the automotive news web sites who mistakenly announced the i-MiEVs demise in December and rub their noses in it.

Good news for all of us who own i-MiEVs, knowing that spare parts are going to be with us for just that much longer. In so many ways, the i-MiEV reminds me of the classic VW Beetle . . . in that the cars soldiers on with virtually no discernible change, has odd looks that confound the fashionistas and genuinely bothers the oil-soaked performance/luxury car expert snobs.
Now . . . if we could just find someone at Mitsubishi Motors North America who can even attempt to market it. What will continue until then is single digit monthly sales figures and derision in general.

One thing I would have liked to see on a post-2016 model year example is battery cells with slightly greater energy density (20kWh pack in the same enclosure?) but similar durability to the LEV50N s. A 6.6kW L-2 charger would also be nice. Maybe not too late to see this? Still . . . happy to see the wheeled jellybean live on.

MMNA: does anyone at your headquarters read anything that's posted here?

Strange, I thought they were only doing even years.

Never underestimate Mitsubishi to do something that will surprise us. It might be that they're now switching to odd-numbered years and moving in retrograde: the 2017 will followed on by a 2015 and then, following that, a 2013. If you're going to create confusion, do a proper job of it! :lol:

Now if they upgrade the Miev in 2 years
6.6 charger
larger battery 25kw
upgraded the suspension
refined the interior and
added a few more standard options
I might be considering a Miev at that time

But Mitsubishi has been dragging its feet
An BEV specific design from wheels and up is need in the near future

Let that be a lesson to the articles quoting that the i-MiEV was discontinued. No comment doesn't mean discontinued. Quit assuming things.

With that rant over, glad to see you're still around, my four wheeled friend.

My guess is that the server where Inside EVs is hosted was running maintenance when justindutch attempted to access it. I just tried and it opens perfectly fine for me as well.

But he brings up another interesting point. We haven't seen any additional articles on this news of a 2017 i-MiEV. When the false rumor of the i-MiEV going out of production hit in December of 2015, the erroneous gossip spread like wildfire and got posted on car sites I had never heard of before. Where are the Johnny-come-lately bad-news-car-boys this time around?

I'm now getting news emailed from Mitsubishi (no shortage on "Outlander PHEV coming soon" announcements, of course) and haven't seen anything related to a 2017 i-MiEV. Perhaps they're waiting until this Thursday to float some i-MiEV news . . . when the entire EV world's eyes will be laser focused on the Tesla 3 unveiling? :?

The i-MiEV has been included in the last couple of mailings I've received from Mitsubishi dealers (in pictures that show what I presume are all the current Mitsubishi models), which seems like a positive sign, although it still isn't actually available at my new local dealer.

Yes, but have you received a MMNA (Mitsubishi Motors North America) promotional email actually announcing the reality of a 2017 i-MiEV? Perhaps this sort of unofficial dissing of the car by the parent organization is why we see so much in the way of speculative - and often inaccurate to the point of being hostile - i-MiEV reporting from the automotive press. It would take very little for MMNA to assign one of their marketing people to occasionally monitor the internet and chime in on the comments section of articles that get it wrong (ie: erroneously announcing production cancellation) or go overboard to trash the car. I've witnessed representatives from GM log in on blogs and forums to calmly clarify and/or correct either the article's author or commenters when the Volt was new and FUD was rampant. That little PR touch probably went a long way to establish that car's success.

The 2017 is live on their site. Same as the 2016, minus blue paint. Only silver, white, and black to choose from.

Still 3.3 charger, 16 kWh battery, and nav package.

I did notice on the 2017 iMiev Mitsu site (see the Fuel Economy + tab) that the estimated (EPA?) range went from 62 to 59:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/imiev/specifications

This suggests, given the recent news, that the 2012 model may be overstated as to its EPA range, or perhaps the 2017 just doesn't go as far.

Any thoughts on this?

City MPGe reduced from 126 to 121.
Highway MPGe increased from 99 to 102.
Combined MPGe remains at 112 MPGe.

So, why would estimated range drop? I consistently beat the EPA range in normal driving, but then again my tires are "Overinflated" to 40 PSI, so I guess I'm guilty, too :roll: . 36 PSI is probably like driving on mush. When trying to get regen to work with the wrong-size Continentals, adjusting the air pressure to be 36 front and 44 rear was enough to enable regen while turning.

Also, the 2017 retains the 8 year/100,000 mile battery warranty, where a decent portion of us received extensions to 10-year/100,000 mile battery warranty.

Back