i-MiEV doesn't survive Mitsubishi's updated EV plan

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

Another report.

"Mitsubishi will increase the number of electrified models in its lineup through the end of the decade, but the company's focus on crossovers will mean the axe for the aging i-MiEV."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/30/i-miev-doesnt-survive-mitsubishis-updated-ev-plan/

Figured that was coming soon. Guess we should all go buy 2016s for spare parts?

And no Lancer, either? The Lancer and Mirage make up 70% of all Mitsubishis I see on the road.

How about we pitch the idea to Tesla to preserve the i-MiEV glider and put their Gen3 powertrain in it? I was just thinking about what an i-MiEV would be like with the Roadster drivetrain in it. Can you imagine 4X the power output?

At least they are putting plugs on nearly all their new cars.

Not at all surprising. In the rapidly evolving world of BEV technology it is indeed an 'ageing' example, having remained basically unchanged since it's introduction 5 or 6 years ago which puts it behind most every other offering out there

Don

Based on reports I've read from other EV drivers, the i-MiEV has been one of the most reliable EVs out there, so there is definitely a reward for not being on the cutting edge.

The i-MiEV could definitely use some updating, but the items on my list could be drop-in replacements (6.6 kW charger, 24 kWh battery, FW update to reduce the throttle ramp from 0-22 to 0-6 MPH). Why not a slight re-design instead of a full-on replacement?

PV1 said:
Based on reports I've read from other EV drivers, the i-MiEV has been one of the most reliable EVs out there, so there is definitely a reward for not being on the cutting edge.

So based on this..... are the OTHER Mitsu BEV's going to be as reliable ?

Like most Mitsu statements stateside, that story was either poorly translated or poorly put to begin with. They didn't come right out and say that the i is history, but that would appear to be the case. Time to head back to my dealer and claim the green jellybean sign from their showroom, but at least Mitsu is obligated to stock parts through 2022!

Digging this up because I just got a satisfaction survey from the dealer for my latest visit. On the top of the "Thank You" page is a picture of Mitsubishi's latest lineup. The i-MiEV is still there. Not really surprising since the latest is a 2016 model, but it is still part of the lineup as of now.

Here's the picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6tl3c1lmppxh4z/survey_image_sample.jpg?dl=0

Back