I Miev not in Mitsubishi's Future

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says "no new i-MiEV successor", i.e. the i-MiEV is not being replaced at this time. If anything, that (weakly) suggests that it will continue as is.

Hello Sandage, I wouldn't worry about the future of our little iMiEV.

The great success of the iMiev will garantee future EV investments with Mitsubishi ... think Outlander PHEV which borrows lots of the tech from the iMiEV.

The important thing to remember is that the technology will definitely live on long way after the our little cars have bitten the dust.

Brian

This is disappointing news, indeed. Mitsubishi should move forward with the CA-MiEV and/or other clean sheet EV designs. They learned a lot with their involvement with SIM-Drive, as well.

Plugin hybrids with substantial EV range is fine, but they need to keep building EV's, too.

Hi Frosty
Welcome to their Forum. Glad to see you found it.
How are you enjoying your new I Miev?
I'm not really worried, I have 105,000 & 6.5 years left on my warranty.
Plenty of time for the next generation EV to come to market .
At this time there really is no other EV that would interest me, so
I'm looking forward to many more miles with this I Miev .
Miles with smiles

Hey, thank you for the welcome.

We're loving our new Mitsubishi i.

We've already done 450km and the car is working perfectly.

We get 6-7 bars remainin with our 55km round trip with moderate heating and a mix of 100kph highway and stop and go traffic (On the coldest day, -10).

I don't know why we didn't get this little EV sooner.

The (i) is a great little car ... you should have seen the face of the Nissan sales person when we told them (no) on the 2016 Leaf and that we went for the iMiEV.

FYI: new fast charger commissioned between Québec city and Baie St-Paul.

Exciting times.

Kindest regards,
Brian

This article mentions the i-MiEV will continue on with no changes?

"The woeful i-MiEV electric sedan will continue on with no changes. It is presently selling at the dismal rate of only 10 cars a month."

http://gas2.org/2015/12/01/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-will-finally-arrive-in-2016/

Hmm. :|

I guess Mitsubishi does have a deal with PSA for 100,000 jellybeans, so until that mark is hit, they may continue to slide an i-MiEV out the door here and there.

From Wikipedia:
Mitsubishi began supplying the electric cars to PSA Peugeot Citroën (PSA) since 2010, and PSA has a contractual commitment to buy 100,000 i-MiEVs over a period that remained confidential.[17][18]

Who knows. :roll: We've never been able to get a straight answer from Corporate. Even the published facts about the i-MiEV from Mitsubishi haven't been entirely accurate.

Cacti said:
This article mentions the i-MiEV will continue on with no changes?

It is presently selling at the dismal rate of only 10 cars a month."

http://gas2.org/2015/12/01/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-will-finally-arrive-in-2016/

Hello Cacti, I don't think sales are that dismal for Mitsubishi.

I think the car has done quite well, based on the size of the company.

Mitsubishi Motors is the smallest of all the auto makers, and the iMiEV is fabricated in a multi car assembly line so you don't have to bang out a ton of i's to turn a profit.

It is Nissan who has dismal Leaf sales based on the size of the company, plus their singular fabrication line for the Leaf... gosh they have to bag a ton of Leaf's to make $$.

Brian

FrostyCanada said:
I don't know why we didn't get this little EV sooner.

The (i) is a great little car ... you should have seen the face of the Nissan sales person when we told them (no) on the 2016 Leaf and that we went for the iMiEV.
Brian

Just curious, would mind sharing what the price difference was between the two

If we're strictly talking price ....FYI: there was no 2015 available so you're stuck with the 2016, plus the used model are none existent - the ones we saw were mostly the older 2012 model.

The prices below are the price difference when comparing an iMiEV with navigation to the Leaf base , and mid level model.

Base level model: 4-5k diff

Mid level: 6-7k diff

Right now with Mitsubishi you get 2k discount, plus zero or almost zero percent financing, plus they added quality winter tire installed on rims.

When you factor all that in the Mitsubishi just make sense.

I'm very surprised they don't sell more.

We had zero interest with what the other manufactures were offering.

We wanted all electric ... the Kia is just stupid expensive, the Ford lack level 3 charging, the Leaf is boring, but the addition of level 3 charging on the base 2016 model makes it somewhat interesting, the Prius plugin is a no go + expensive, the Chevy Spark is a no show for now, the BMW i3 is also stupid expensive, and the Smart EV is too small, plus we didn't care much for the car warranty.

The iMiEV is perfect for what it is and we love the fact that the tech is hidden From you ...

Are you interested in the Leaf?

No not interested in a Leaf,
Just was wondering if anything had changed in the Canadian market.
New model for new model when I bought - The difference between the base i Miev ES (my Model) and the least expensive leaf with a fast charger was even greater.
I would not buy a model without a fast charge port.
Nothing major has really changed to make me want to pay that much more.

Well, they will make a new Kei car for the Japanese market, but they won't bring it to other market. His literal wording was "We're not spending R&D on just a EV, it will be ICE with electric drive optional"

What that effectively means, is that the next Kei car will be designed to do both instead of just EV. Which is a weird sentence in itself, considering the i existed as a ICE too. You could argue the VW e-UP! is designed from a similar standpoint, it comes in electric and ICE using the same chassis etc.

We'll see what it brings to the table. To be fair, I need to frame it in a 5 year context, as that's the car I'll buy in 5 years. So if it's not on the market now, I'll likely won't be able to buy it.

As far as the bolt goes I heard of $ 30,000 USD after the US Government rebate,
Add the 35% USD to CAD dollar exchange rate ,
I'm retired = Not in my budget.
I hope we see more models to choose from soon.

"Turd-polishing"?

http://www.insidercarnews.com/mitsubishi-to-kill-the-i-miev-and-add-electrified-crossovers/

Some of these reporters, geez.

The "turd-polishing" article posted here, so they don't get as much ad revenue :mrgreen:

Mitsubishi is trying to reinvent itself, but thus far, it has done a pretty poor job at it. All it’s done is eliminate its last enthusiast car in the Lancer Evo, gave the Mirage a turd-polishing, and uglyfied the Outlander Sport, so it’s not on the right path yet. However, a new report from Automotive News indicates that the Japanese brand has plenty of cool stuff up its sleeve that could make it one of the more desirable makes by 2020.

According to the report, Mitsubishi has committed to releasing a trio of electrified crossovers in the U.S. market in the next five years. This process will begin with a plug-in hybrid-only version of the Outlander in mid-2016 – there will not be a gasoline model available. Following that, it will then move to a small, coupe-style crossover with plug-in hybrid and gasoline powertrains sometime after the fall of 2017 that will bridge the gap between the Outlander Sport and Outlander.

Following the crossover coupe, Mitsu will turn its attention back to the Outlander. This time around, it will give its largest crossover a full redesign, but it will retain its plug-in hybrid powertrain and add in a gasoline version. This will take place sometime after 2017.

In 2019, Mitsubishi will redesign the Outlander Sport and convert is to a full-EV crossover.

Mitsubishi CEO, Osamu Masuko, also gave Automotive News some inside information on the future of its other models. The best news to come out of this report is confirmation that the i-MiEV will get the axe with no plans for a successor. Masuko also confirmed suspicions that the Lancer will not return after elimination and that a successor to the Galant is no longer in the cards. He did, however, confirm that the Mirage will get a sedan variant in the spring of 2016.

All of these changes, combined with Mitsubishi’s ability to keep prices low, could result in the brand continuing its sales growth in the future, especially once gas prices shoot back up.

OK, tell me this. If they aren't going to continue the Lancer, then why did they redesign it? (granted, not much, but still). Though, they are ending the EVO.

06-d.jpg

New
vs.
Old

21-d.jpg

Back