Don
Site Moderator

Motor Control Unit Recall

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Just got a notice in the mail today. Mitsu wants to change out the MCU for cars built between November 4, 2011 and May 8, 2012. We bought our original iMiEV in early May and it falls under this recall. Our other one was built later

"Certain internal components were not manufactured to factory specifications" which can cause reduced power and charging problems

If you have a car built between the above dates, be looking for a recall notice in the mail

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Motor Control Unit Recall

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Along with my battery warranty extension notice, I was also notified of a service campaign (this was on the letter for Koorz, my silver i-MiEV).

Here's the original letter:

Customer Satisfaction Campaign SC-15-002

Dear Mitsubishi Owner,

Mitsubishi Motors always strives to build vehicles with the highest level of quality, and continuously improve that quality with every vehicle built. To help assure continued satisfaction with your Mitsubishi vehicle, we are recommending that the following product improvement be performed on certain 2012 i-MiEV vehicles built from November 4, 2011 to May 8, 2012.

Recommended Product Improvement:
The Motor Control Unit (MCU) in your i-MiEV may contain certain internal components that were not manufactured to factory specifications. This can lead to an unstable voltage within the circuit, potentially resulting in reduced electric motor power (turtle mode) during vehicle operation. In the worst case scenario, MCU related functions such as starting the vehicle and/or charging the Main Drive lithium-ion battery may be prohibited.

What your dealer will do:
Your local certified i-MiEV Mitsubishi dealer will replace the MCU, free of charge. This repair will take approximately 1.5 hours to complete. However, the dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time due to scheduling. Every effort will be made to minimize your inconvenience.

What you should do:
Please contact your local Certified i-MiEV Mitsubishi dealership to schedule an appointment. Although not required, it is recommended to bring this letter when you take your vehicle into the dealership.

If you have any questions regarding this customer satisfaction campaign, please contact us:

Mitsubishi Customer Relations Department
P.O. Box 6400
Cypress, CA 90630-0064
Phone 1-888-648-7820
Hours: Monday - Friday 7 AM - 4 PM Pacific Time

If you have already encountered a problem with the MCU and had it replaced as a result of this specific condition and have paid for the repair, you may send your original repair order or invoice, and original receipt/proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration:

Mitsubishi Customer Relations Department, P.O. Box 6400 Cypress, CA 90630-0064

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter, and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

tigger19687

Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:09 pm

According to 'My Garage" on Mitsu website, Mine must not be one of them.
But then again it doesn't tell me that the Battery Warranty is for 10 years either
[size=85]- Linda
-2017 Chevy Bolt Premier Bright Blue
- 2014 Toyota Prius C, for the Son

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:39 pm

tigger19687 wrote:According to 'My Garage" on Mitsu website, Mine must not be one of them.
No need to wonder - The manufacture date is on your door jamb . . . .

I just discovered BOTH of my cars fall under this recall

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

rkarl89203

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:27 pm

It doesn't say ALL cars between those dates, just "certain" ones.
Mine was built in April 2012, so I am in the possible group.
Was glad to get the letter extending the battery warranty today,

DougC

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Got my notice today.

Now just need to get the car to the dealer, just over my range .

davidricardo86

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:23 am

I received my notice yesterday. My battery warranty has been extended to 10 years and I've got to take in my i-MiEV to my local dealership for an MCU replacement. I also received notification through the Mitsubishi owners website.

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 pm

For other i-MiEV drivers affected by this recall, do you notice a slight high-pitched noise when the car is in a drive mode, but not moving? Koorz is affected by this recall, and the MCU makes a slight high-pitched noise (coil whine) when in a drive mode, slip it into Neutral or Park, and the noise stops instantly.

I am wondering if the coil whine is related to this campaign. Bear is not part of this recall, and does not exhibit coil whine while stationary in a drive mode.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

tigger19687

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:26 am

Mine was built Feb 2012

So far no notice and nothing on their Web for my car (they have a recall tab :) )
[size=85]- Linda
-2017 Chevy Bolt Premier Bright Blue
- 2014 Toyota Prius C, for the Son

Pekelo

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:54 am

Got the letter and called my dealer. They state that they would need to keep the car overnight because they need to discharge the battery to replace the part.

Return to “iMiev News”