Mitsubishi announces $6K price drop on 2014 i-MiEV!!!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

Finally, Mitsubishi has announced in a big way that the i-MiEV is coming back to North American market in 2014!

“Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) is proud to announce that the company’s new 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric-powered production vehicle not only receives an expanded standard equipment package but also sees a considerable price reduction of $6,130 over the previous 2012 model year vehicle.”

Here's a list of the new features, so the lower priced i-MiEV isn't a stripped down model!

Driver and front passenger heated seats
Heated side view mirrors
Rear door speakers
8A/12A switchable Level 1 charging cable*** (approximate charge time from near empty to fully charged – 22 hours for 8 amp/14 hours for 12 amp)
Charge port lamp
CHAdeMO DC quick charge port
Battery warming system
Leather-covered steering wheel and shift knob
Passenger-side vanity mirror with lid
Numerous decorative color/trim upgrades
Aluminum wheels
Front fog lights
New daytime running lights (DRL)
Black-out door sash trim

I'm hoping this will help Mitsubishi move more of these cool little electric vehicles!

“After factoring in the Federal tax credit of $7,500, the net MSRP of the 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV drops down to only $15,495*.

marta said:
Here's a list of the new features, so the lower priced i-MiEV isn't a stripped down model!

Heated side view mirrors
Rear door speakers
8A/12A switchable Level 1 charging cable*** (approximate charge time from near empty to fully charged – 22 hours for 8 amp/14 hours for 12 amp)
Charge port lamp
Battery warming system
Aluminum wheels
Front fog lights
Black-out door sash trim
Sounds pretty much like the existing 2012 Canadian model - I don't see much 'new' there

Don

This is an awesome development ... I think they listened to what us current owners have said , in as much as they could "modify" a car and making it worth the leap of faith for some fence-sitters to go electric. Though it doesn't do anything for our 2012 resale value, it means that Mitsubishi will still have the iMiev available so that parts won't be as hard to come by. So, in that sense, it becomes less costly in the long term to own one of these. We'll see how it goes over the next few years.

marta said:
Rear door speakers
Charge port lamp
Battery warming system
Black-out door sash trim
Aluminum wheels
Front fog lights
The SE became the ES, according to their website. I wouldn't mind having the passenger heated seat, aluminum wheels, and charge port lamp, though. DC quick charge is standard now.

Heated side view mirrors
I already have these features, except my cord does 240 as well. Glad to see Mitsubishi is adding 12 amps.

The price drop is fantastic news. Push out a few decent commercials and these will really sell now. One question, though. Black interior or brown? I would imagine the ES interior, considering the blacked-out door trim.

I don't think that price drop will move the needle much, considering they had a $10k incentive on the hood for a while.

In Canada the 2013 model is back on their website, same lame $33,998 price though, which is crazy considering the base Leaf is $31,698.

Maybe this price drop means Mitsu will finally start marketing the car. I think a strong sales push, especially geared toward seniors and young drivers (parents of young drivers) would make a lot of sense at this price point. A net cost of $15k for a second car for grampa or for junior should be very attractive.

Glad to hear the 2014 is alive.
Where is the $ 15,00 net price coming from that is being discussed?
I have not seen the MSRP listed for this new model.

Silver, 2012, ES with QC

Lithim said:
I have not seen the MSRP listed for this new model.

Silver, 2012, ES with QC
that price is after $7500 federal tax rebate and maybe $1500 state.

Lithim said:
It's here: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/514f6f90-045a-446c-8127-a376e2bd930f

If the $3000 rebate in PA still exists next year, it would make the iMiev cost only $12,495! Tax and other incidentals put's you above that little, but that's a great price for a very nice little runabout.

The added standard features show Mitsubishi is listening and I guess is normal in the cycle life of any model. It is good news. I love my i-Miev but I think the biggest omission is an option for a larger battery for about 20 more miles of range bringing it to the average of the competition. Either that or incremental improvements in the battery, motor and climate control system to achieve the additional range. As long as the i-Miev is last in range it will more than likely be last in sales. By making battery size optional I think they would definitely be competitive in the EV marketplace. Then the problem may be making enough batteries.

There's also some more information here. Looks like Raspberry got replaced by Aqua Marine Blue, and the heater got changed out for a heat pump. :D

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/31f1c4c1-3f67-479a-8bbe-edc0cdebe8b9

It's great news for all of us that Mitsu is selling basically the same car for 2014 - I think we'd have been in a real pickle if our beloved iMiEV's turned out to the a 'one year wonder'. It's even better news that the price is coming down . . . . and that we'll finally get blue instead of purple

Hopefully, this car will turn out to be something like the original VW Beetle - Stick with what works, making only small incremental changes over the years so the price can be held to a minimum. Completely redesigning cars every year or two just to get a 'new look' never made much sense to me. If what you have works and does what it was designed to do, keep building it and concentrate on commonality and bringing the price down. This appears to be what Mitsu is thinking and I applaud them for it

The heat pump has been in the works for years - Glad to see it's finally here

I don't think it's very realistic to expect changes in battery technology or range, at least not until they redesign the entire car. Yes, we have the shortest range, but we also have the smallest size and lowest weight. The car is what it is and it works for the vast majority of commuters just as it is - I don't think it needs a longer range to sell well because most drivers usually make short trips. A recent study showed that an average trip length was 9.1 miles. ▫ 90% of all trips were 19 miles or less. ▫ 95% were short distances of 30 miles or less, so this platform will work very well for most drivers - If you need more range, you probably need a different car. Making changes to this car to suit the needs of those few wouldn't make good economic or engineering sense, IMO

Don

If that new cabin heater is indeed compressor-based (reverse AC), then the EPA range should go up.
Part of the EPA cycle is with the heating or AC in operation.

I was wondering if black, white, and silver would be it - glad to see blue in there. And great to see the more efficient heater and basically all the things I'd want in the old SE without the stuff I don't want (like the navigation system - which doesn't appear to be an option at all), for a much lower price. I wonder what it would cost me to trade my 2012 in for a 2014 ... I'll have a few months to think about that I suppose.

My Volt lease runs out in September and this puts the iMiEV
on my list!! I have never seen one here in central Florida,
not even at the dealership......

I don't think it's very realistic to expect changes in battery technology or range, at least not until they redesign the entire car. Yes, we have the shortest range, but we also have the smallest size and lowest weight.

Actually I think the SmartED would be classified as the smallest size and lowest weight and it has 10% more range than our I-miev. I agree with your assumption that they won't likely redesign the car for added range but remember they redesigned the North American model i-Miev to suit this market. I want our car to succeed.

Dan

dsmall24us said:
I don't think it's very realistic to expect changes in battery technology or range, at least not until they redesign the entire car. Yes, we have the shortest range, but we also have the smallest size and lowest weight.

Actually I think the SmartED would be classified as the smallest size and lowest weight and it has 10% more range than our I-miev. I agree with your assumption that they won't likely redesign the car for added range but remember they redesigned the North American model i-Miev to suit this market. I want our car to succeed.
I thought about the Smart when I brought that up and was about to include the disclaimer that it's the smallest, lightest REAL car (you know . . . . something that can seat 4 and carry cargo) but I thought it would be obvious :lol:

Don

Back