Future i-MiEV Models Confirmed For United States

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statik

With only about a 100 2012s new I-MiEVs left and no 2013s arriving yet (and 2014s of other cars starting to show up), we figured we would try to definitively solve the "will they or won't they riddle" for once...surprisingly Mitsu execs had no trouble answering. New i-MiEVs are coming for the US...they just aren't 100% on the date yet.

Exclusive: Despite No 2013 Edition, The Mitsubishi i-MiEV To Live On In US Future Model Years

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-despite-no-2013-edition-the-mitsubishi-i-miev-to-live-on-in-us-future-model-years/

/figured it was good news, (=

Inside EVs isn't exactly the pinnacle of reporting. Eric Loveday is just there to make the coffee. :lol:

Advertising would be nice, wouldn't it? So many times I see people list current EVs in the US and completely omit the i-MiEV.

aarond12 said:
Inside EVs isn't exactly the pinnacle of reporting. Eric Loveday is just there to make the coffee. :lol:

Advertising would be nice, wouldn't it? So many times I see people list current EVs in the US and completely omit the i-MiEV.

Did anyone see this slam from EV World.Com about the 100k EV sold in the US being an i-MiEV? http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=30764 Bastards!

MLucas said:
Did anyone see this slam from EV World.Com about the 100k EV sold in the US being an i-MiEV? http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=30764 Bastards!

I demand a recount!!! How did this Mr. Salmon of Grand Bay, AL get the designation of the 100Kth EV sold in America? When did this sale actually take place? I just bought my i-MiEV last week. Was I not in the running?!

Okay, moving on with my day now.

aarond12 said:

/hey, I'm still in the room here, (=
...although maybe I should have a better handle, heeh

Jay

This is fantastic news, if a bit incomplete. I won't go so far as to say I teared up when I read it, but I'd really given up hope that i-MiEVs were going to stay in the lineup in the U.S., so this was like a minor miracle.

I say incomplete only because we don't know where they're going to price it. The price hike in Canada was very discouraging to me, since it makes an i-MiEV ES dearer than a Leaf S, and that is just a no-go, especially for the U.S. market. If they can't manage to bring in the ES at least a grand below the Leaf S (maybe more like 2k), sales will remain limited to a quirky intersection of EV geeks unhappy w/Leaf's thermal management, micro-car fans, and Mitsu loyalists.

And hey, for you Three Diamond guys, some free advice - if you're trying to figure out the best time to "re-launch" the i-MiEV, how about alongside the Outlander PHEV? I'm sure you plan to advertise that beast, and I think sharing a little screen time w/the i-MiEV can only help both cars. It'll let people know you have a BEV, and heck, make the Outlander look bigger!

RobbW said:
I demand a recount!!! How did this Mr. Salmon of Grand Bay, AL get the designation of the 100Kth EV sold in America? When did this sale actually take place? I just bought my i-MiEV last week. Was I not in the running?!
I think anyone who ordered a new Clipper Creek EVSE when they bought their EV was in the running, regardless of which EV they bought

Plug In America awarded Salmon a new ClipperCreek Level 2 charging station plus $300 toward its installation, both generously donated by ClipperCreek. Salmon was selected to represent the approximate buyer of the 100,000th EV with his recent purchase of a Mitsubishi iMiEV.

"I took the iMiEV for a test drive. It was a loaded model and I liked it, so I bought it," said Salmon, drawn to an EV's lack of a tail pipe. "While searching for a level-two charger, I ran across Plug In America's contest and decided to enter. I had ordered a ClipperCreek LCS-25 because it seemed to be one of the most recommended chargers, but I never figured I would win one.

Coincidence? I think not!

Don

Ha! So much for those "No Purchase Required" provisions!

Oh well. I didn't realize it was a contest you had to enter. I've got my new i-MiEV. That's enough of a prize for me!

I looks like there won't be a 2013 model (other manufacturers 2014's are starting to show up now). If it is a 2014 it better have more stuff then the Canadian 2013 and a better price point if Mitsubishi wants to compete with the LEAF. IMO they need to have a really stripped ES entry level "loss leader" model and a SE with upgraded interior trim, optional 6.6 KW charger, cruise control, etc. They can do nice interiors in the I-MiEV---just look at some of the Eurpoean models. I bought my I-MiEV because I liked the car (I also own a LEAF) and believed if I didn't get one now, there would never be a time in the future to purchase one. Even with the 10K dealer cash people aren't beating down the doors at the dealerships to buy. I don't see how a coporate descision to continue to market this car (built only for the North American market) can be supported. It's a great car in a urban enviorment and it has a place at the right price.

siai47 said:
...If it is a 2014 it better have more stuff then the Canadian 2013 and a better price point if Mitsubishi wants to compete with the LEAF. IMO they need to have a really stripped ES entry level "loss leader" model and a SE with upgraded interior trim, optional 6.6 KW charger, cruise control, etc....Even with the 10K dealer cash people aren't beating down the doors at the dealerships to buy. I don't see how a coporate descision to continue to market this car (built only for the North American market) can be supported. It's a great car in a urban enviorment and it has a place at the right price.
Some good points here, though I'm having trouble figuring out what your conclusion is - is it a great car that has a place at the right price, or is it hard to support a decision to continue marketing it?

I've long argued that the SE interior is an insufficient improvement from the ES (umm, brown fabric & plastic, chrome-colored plastic - that's it? really?), and have similarly noted the posh interiors offered in, e.g., the UK. But the ES is pretty stripped already - I don't think you can sell a car in NA without A/C and an audio system, so I'd say they just need to lower the price, period (weaker yen should make that easier). Actually, they also need to add aux-in and make USB standard on the ES, neither of which should cost anything at all (that's just stupid nickel and dime stuff that needlessly repels customers - read this forum for confirmation). Passenger seat heater is also a no-brainer, at least as an option, since it's important to provide a useful alternative to the power-sucking cabin heater (driver-only is pretty lame). I occasionally miss cruise control, but not all that often. There are often comments about an adjustable steering wheel, but I don't know how much weight/complexity/cost that would add.

I think the main things are improving the value of the ES (tiny content improvement and a notable price cut) and raising the SE's game with an upgraded interior, plus perhaps more entertaining infographics on the Premium's dash display (lose the danged gas stations!). None of that should be terribly expensive to implement, since I think everything's already in the global parts bin.

The i-MiEV is an exercise in oddity. It has a heated driver's seat, but no tilt steering wheel. It has auto climate control, but no passenger-side visor mirror. It has LED brake lights, but the ES model has no rear speakers. My i-MiEV has a beautiful, pearlescent white paint color that costs $200 extra on a Mazda 3, but doesn't have a USB port on the radio.

Mitsubishi needs to decide if this is a bargain car or not. Having semi-premium items on a low-end car makes no sense.

Oh, and market the goddamned thing. :lol:

JoeS said:
MLucas said:
It's actually a clueless FinancePost article, excerpted by EVWorld - which included the iMiEV slam in the excerpt. Surprised EVWorld didn't add their own commentary to it.

Yeah, they really should've said, "The Financial Post writes…," then put the excerpt in italics. It's easy to be confused the way they presented it.

If I were MM, I would drop the current model of the car, and try to introduce the new model by 2014.

I think the most important changes to the car to improve consumer acceptance should be:
1. a little more range...say up to 100 miles.
2. a different exterior look. Although I don't have a problem with the current one, it is funny looking and people don't want to be perceived as driving around in a golf cart.
3. A smartphone app for charging, climate control, etc. Again,...I don't care much for this, but a lot of folks do.
4, Then you need stuff like a center arm rest, better radio, passeger side visor mirror, etc.

I hope they keep the same body style - It's an engineering marvel of the very best use of space and few other vehicles can come close to matching it

If the biggest (obvious) need is to try to reduce the overall price so as to get more people into EV's, then spending more money every couple years to redesign the sheetmetal isn't going in the right direction

As I recall, most people made fun of the original VW Beetle when they first showed up here, but VW was undeterred - They had a practical shape which fit their car and they stuck with it - Boy, is that an understatement . . . . more than 21 million made over more than a 50 year span, all with the same basic body style

Listen up Mitsu! - Let's start a new trend. You've got a great body style . . . . stick with it!!

Don

fjpod said:
If I were MM, I would drop the current model of the car, and try to introduce the new model by 2014.
Worst
advice
ever.
:eek:
You do realize, of course, how utterly screwed we would all be if they were to do such a thing.

No, really...any of my friends who look at the car laugh at it. I admit there is great interior front seat space for a car this size, but people don't take it seriously, especially when they see the front tires...as evidenced by sales. MM can advertise this car til the cows come home, and it won't sell. For a limited few people like us, it fills a niche.

The best thing MM motors can do to perpetuate their EV business is to modify the car and update it. Remember, this basic imiev body style has been around since 2008-2009, albeit it was the european model...but in a side by side photo the average driver couldn't tell the difference. So, it's been around 5 years.

If we want to continue getting parts and support for our imievs, MM needs to perpetuate its EV models.

fjpod said:
The best thing MM motors can do to perpetuate their EV business is to modify the car and update it.
I would like MM to keep the same basic body style with its great space efficiency but go all out increasing its aerodynamics. Many people don't like the shape of very aerodynamic cars, but those people aren't as likely to buy an EV anyway.

I would also like MM to concentrate of weight reduction. Replacing the heavy steel body with an aluminum and thermoplastic body would also increase cost, unfortunately.

Reducing drag and weight would increase range without any change in battery pack technology or capacity.

fjpod said:
Remember, this basic imiev body style has been around since 2008-2009, albeit it was the european model...but in a side by side photo the average driver couldn't tell the difference. So, it's been around 5 years.
The Mitsubishi i (ICE version) was introduced in 2006, so this basic body shape is 7 years old. But drag reduction would make the body look like a new updated model. Designing a single world body style would also reduce cost.

Back