New CA-MiEV concept car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesliev

A look at a possible future Mitsubishi EV:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/06/mitsubishi-concept-ca-miev-triples-the-range

Now this is a sensible evolution of the EV. Hope it is the 2014 version of the imiev. Sign me up.

Just watched Woody Allen's "Sleeper" (yeah, a few years late, I know) and saw a bit of a family resemblance. The "wheel covers" on the side of the vehicle look similar to the grille cover on the CA-MiEV. The rear end (hard to see from this pic) also looks similar to the rear end of the CA-MiEV. Bring on the Orgasmatron!

d9f264f2277021dc311a84ee4cc560c6788a0105.pjpg

Per Motor Trend's October issue new car buyers guide-----"Though the current-generation I-MiEV (pictured) isn't available as a 2014 model, we expect the Concept CA-MiEV from the 2013 Geneva show to preview the next-gen production model. The five-seat CA-MiEV is powered by a 107 hp motor capable of a 186-mile range, employing a no-plug charging system that charges the car wirelessly. A flat floor allows for a more compact powertrain packaging. Look for the I-MiEV to return, ready to battle the Leaf."

I guess it would be nice if Mitsubishi could pull this off at a reasonable price point consistent with the true value of the vehicle. The CA-MiEV is moving from the current I-MiEV's Chevy Spark territory towards Tesla territory. It's going to be hard to compete with the LEAF which should be nearing a redesign by this time--so you need to position yourself on one side or the other of a LEAF target. The current I-MiEV would have trouble competing with some of the current "compliance" cars out there if they ever went 50 state. Mitsubishi has the reasources to pull this off as a corporation, I just don't know if they will do it as a automotive division of that corporation.

Has anybody heard any news on the next-gen Mitsubishi EV? I certainly hope they surprise us with something like the CA-MiEV, with room for 5 and a range like 180 miles!

Unfortunately, my dealer thinks this bit of blandness is more likely to emerge from the Mitsu-Nissan joint venture than the CA-MIEV.
mitsubishi_ekcustom_illustrLF600x400.jpg

NeilBlanchard said:
Has anybody heard any news on the next-gen Mitsubishi EV? I certainly hope they surprise us with something like the CA-MiEV, with room for 5 and a range like 180 miles!

A little. Some here, pointing at NMKV, the joint venture mentionated by jray3:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2284

jray3 said:
Unfortunately, my dealer thinks this bit of blandness is more likely to emerge from the Mitsu-Nissan joint venture than the CA-MIEV.
[http://evworld.com/press/mitsubishi_ekcustom_illustrLF600x400.jpg]
In fairness, it will be the next generation of the car shown here, but yes, that's the most likely platform for the i-MiEV's replacement; the CA-MiEV was never anything but a show car, period. I just hope the new car will be one that Mitsu's willing and able to manufacture in LEAF-like quantities. The i-MiEV seems to be in some nether region between tentative effort and minimal compliance car - I've never been able to figure it out.

Thanks for the technical info. If I saw it before, I forgot about it. A Cd of 0.26 is respectable, but with a few adjustments - mainly making the rear "spoiler" flush rather than upturned, and a bit more side taper, I think it could come down more. It already has flush (tiny) door handles and side video mirrors. Hopefully the underside can be improved, as well.

It has crisp good looks and is still quite practical. A 28kWh pack would be great.

28kWh battery + CHAdeMO, and further improved aerodynamics (e.g., rear wheel skirts), and perhaps the option of an even-larger battery, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat as my long-distance highway car, with it still being very usable around town.

<rant>Much as I would like a Tesla S for my occasional long highway trips, watching (suffering through) people jockeying their MS in some of our small parking lots reminds me of how ill-suited it (and all those monster SUVs and pickups) is for everyday use, and also how few people are skilled in maneuvering their vehicles. </rant> Love my i-MiEV's small size and maneuverability as a capacious urban workhorse.

Back