i-MiEV in BC2BC EV Rally

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leec

There's a thread on the MNL forums started by Tony Williams who drove from Baja California to British Colombia last year in his Nissan LEAF. This year the route will reverse and begin at the Canadian border. Anyone interested in attending can check out this page which has an event listing and will link to the various threads of discussion around the Internets.

It's my buddy LeeC of "Three Pass Blast" fame. (He crossed all three Cascades Mountain Range passes within reach of Seattle in 24 hrs in the dead of the 2011-12 winter.) My retracing one third of that route in his car this spring convinced me to spring for a CHAdeMO-equipped iMiEV last week. Lee's not very active on this forum, but will certainly tell the tale once all has transpired.

Update from LeeC. He's in Chico CA as of 11 AM PST today, which makes for over 775 miles in approx. 48 hrs. With detours for charging, I'll bet he's logged at least 800 miles. No other stats yet.
I'll pass along details as they come in, or if a better site for updates emerges. There's several associated with the rally, but no really useful or regular updates yet. Even the Glympse site is not well-used.
Of course, this pace would've been impossible without CHAdeMO- he would've spent about 74 hrs on level II to recover 800 miles worth of charge!

The BC2BC waypoints were laid out in on a time/location schedule the would've been impossible for an iMiEV to meet, so LeeC drove through the night, and off of the official route in order to accomplish L2 charging at campgrounds due to the holes in California's CHAdeMO network.

The organizers have apparently disqualified him for this, and then somebody vandalized his official rally designation stickers while stopped at a Board of Education officel! :eek: LeeC continues to forge ahead, waiting for the "wine and cheese" rally participants to catch up to the iMiEV! :twisted:

Here's a choice quote:

Steve Lemke How is it that the iMiev is seven hours ahead of the LEAF?
18 hours ago via mobile

Tony Williams Battery got VERY hot (115F from Turbo3 app, 11 temperature bars)) in the LEAF, and the charge was limited / stopped. Plus, #2 is quite skilled at getting the job done.
17 hours ago via mobile

Follow the action on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AllElectricVehicleRally/?fref=ts

As he did during his Three Pass Blast, Lee's taken more photos than Rain Man! Here's the photo diary. :ugeek:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108161928669055573248/posts/QS1bcYwNwc6

You'll notice that many of the DCQC chargers are positioned such that an iMiEV has to double-park in order for the cable to reach (except for Nissan-branded DCQC!). I've experienced this with both Aerovironment and Blink- their cable lengths seem to be random! :(

GO LEE GO!!

Howdy, y'all! You can follow along with me on Twitter where I'm posting on the account WikiLeaksEV for charging and time updates along with my own account in addition to the album of photos on G+.

Updating this forum on my smartphone is too difficult

Rally2_02.jpg

The BC2BC Rally showcases electric vehicles and infrastructure on a route that highlights our country’s early investment in moving toward electric vehicle transportation. In the past year, new generations of electric vehicles have hit the showrooms and significant charging infrastructure is being installed nationwide. And today, this nation is rebuilding and renewing itself all the while the places that provide us our oil are at political tipping points. In the word’s of event creator, Tony Williams, “It’s a fantastic time to have some fun.”

More pics of all vehicles involved in the rally are here.

map1-copy.png

The driver of the I-Miev is Lee Colleton.

Lee is a “sysadmin” at Google in the Seattle, Washington area. Completed the US-2 rally driving his Mitsubishi iMiev and he also drove from Seattle through Portland and Vancouver in 37 hours. He plans are to stay flexible and always be charging! Wise words, indeed.

blownb310, thank you very much for posting the iMiEV photo and map of the BC2BC EV Rally. Great to have Lee in it!
I took the liberty of combining the three separate threads of this event into one and altering the title slightly. :roll:

Back