2013 I-MiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewsre

So I have been calling dealerships all over the west coast to find the right 2012 I-MiEV and have it shipped to me (also looking for advice in this thread: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1583). Through this process I have had 2 dealerships tell me they have 2013 MiEV's on order and are just waiting for them to come in. (no concrete ETA, price, or specs). I can't find any info anywhere on the net about the 2013 coming to the US and almost everything points to them not coming here that I have found.

Is there any truth to this or is it possibly more of a "they are ordered and they might not ever come" type of scenario?

If there is enough interest, I could post a copy of my emails and maybe even the dealerships that are waiting for them to come in.

Given that there is a 2013 i-MiEV for Canada, I'm surprised there was no announcement of a 2013 for the US. Go ahead and post whatever correspondence you have. I'm sure it will make for good conversation. ;)

I figured I should follow up with the details since there is a little interest. I have since spoken with the dealership I bought my 2012 from and he thinks this person is not being honest for whatever reason. I took out the names and email addresses but the messages have not been modified. Also added lines for easier distinction between messages.

-----------------------------------------------

RE: 2013 MITSUBISHI i-MiEV‏

Sent: Tue 5/28/13 3:39 PM

We do not have pricing yet on these units and the eta keeps changing. We can take a deposit on the incoming car but the timing could be a couple months yet!

Sent: 5/28/2013 3:34:00 PM
Subject: RE: 2013 MITSUBISHI i-MiEV

Oh, thank you for the information. I was not aware that the 2013 models were on their way. Do you have any information regarding the differences between the 2012-2013, eta of when you will have them and the estimated price? I was recently in a car accident and driving around in a rental so the timing is pretty important for me. I might be interested in reserving one of these as I thought they were not going to be released in the US, how much would I need to put down to reserve one of these?

Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:04:54 +0000

The Models I have due in are the 2013 models they do not have the same incentive as the 2012 models. I won't know what incentive will be available until they come in.

Sent: 5/28/2013 10:58:00 AM

I am interested in a Black or Silver SE Premium (prefer black). Do you know what time frame these are expected to be in? Sounds like there are a couple places getting some in and I am planning on taking advantage of the 10k incentive with the 0% financing which I know have expiration dates. I have already ran my credit through Auburn Valley Mitsubishi and qualify for the 0% financing and did my initial test drive there. I look forward to hearing from you.

Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 16:35:25 +0000
Subject: 2013 MITSUBISHI i-MiEV

I do have two 2013 model electric cars due in that are not pre sold if you are interested on putting down a deposit we could put your name on one of these two cars.

I remain skeptical about 2013 models for the U.S. In the current competitive E.V. environment, Mitsubishi would need to sell its 2013 models for much less than the 2012 MSRP's. But to do so, Mitsubishi would almost certainly be selling each i-MiEV at a loss. Amazingly, the MSRP's of 2013 Canadian i-MiEV's are actually higher than those of the 2012's, yet there's no substantial upgrade that could justify a higher price.

Why would Mitsubishi allow inventories to drop so low that some people in some parts of the U.S. have no 2012's nearby and might instead choose to buy or lease an E.V. from a competitor? It would have made much more sense to keep inventories stable by starting to import 2013's in January while dropping the 2012 prices enough to sell them as they are now.

But then, very little about Mitsubishi's U.S. i-MiEV has made any sense…

This Chicago Tribune review -- http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient/car/2013-mitsubishi-i-miev

chicagotribune said:
If we were doing anything other than going to the grocery store, we’d probably be a little nervous driving this car in Chicago because you never know when traffic will start drawing down power.

When people ask me about my iMiev and electric cars, I let them know that Nissan beat them in the market and made and marketed their electric more successfully than the iMiev.

But if an automotive reporter were as ignorant about ICE cars as they are about EV's (see the inaccurate traffic comment above), they wouldn't have much automotive journalism work.

Quercus said:
This Chicago Tribune review...
I like how the author says it takes 23 hours to recharge the battery. I called her out on it on her Twitter account, but got no response. (Surprise, surprise.)

Just another example of how ignorant many Americans are when it comes to new technologies. Hardly a new technology happens without someone misunderstanding it and saying it's crap. Case in point: The iPad. When it came out, people were saying it's just a giant cell phone, it's not a real computer, etc., etc., etc. Now it's one of the best selling computers on the market with hundreds of thousands of applications from games to system administration utilities.

The Internet is an amazing tool, but it has allowed amazing tools to have an amazingly loud voice.

I just received a call from the salesperson who sold me the i-miev in Albuquerque. He says that Mittsubishi is discontinuing the i-miev. Is that right? I am not convinced that this guy knows what he is talking about.

Back