Charging from a public charge point in UK

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDY4004

As yet I have only ever charged my Mitsubishi I Miev at home. However there is a charge point in a town about 25 miles away Haverfordwest which has a Mode 3 Outlet 7.7KW max but requires a lead with a 7 pin plug on. The only Lead I have is the one which came with the car with a standard uk 3 pin plug.Anybody know if its possible to get a lead with a 7 pin plug or an adapter . Andy

You dont mean this son of a female dog, do you?

VDE-AR-E_2623-2-2-plug.jpg

More on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196

If it is this one my best guess is asking the power company. They are expensive. They'll sell you a cable with the Mennekes on one end and the J1772 that plugs into the i-MiEV on the other end.

598px-SAE_J1772_7058855567.jpg

I have a bunch of cables in my trunk but not this one, not yet.

I ordered one of these Type 2 to J1772 leads from Zerocarbonworld world - just waiting for delivery - http://www.zerocarbonworld.org/shop

If you look on http://openchargemap.org you can check which charging stations you plan to use have which type of connections.

misterbleepy said:
I ordered one of these Type 2 to J1772 leads from Zerocarbonworld world - just waiting for delivery - http://www.zerocarbonworld.org/shop

If you look on http://openchargemap.org you can check which charging stations you plan to use have which type of connections.

Many thanks for all your help will look into it. Andy

Yes, I bought one of these cables on eBay. Watch out that you get one that's long enough and has a high enough current rating. I decided to pay a bit more and get a top quality one. However, I too have only ever charged at home other than one time when a hotel in Worcester let me use an outside 3pin socket!

I finally tried the cable at Forest Green Rovers football club and it worked! I only used it for 15 minutes whilst waiting for the rapid charger. One of the football players was charging up his Nissan leaf! Boy is rapid charging rapid. I only plugged it in for 20 minutes before I had enough juice to get home.

I bought a Mitsubishi i-MiEV in Wallasey, Wirral England in July 2013.

On Monday 16th September I travelled from Heswall where I live to Bradford, a distance of 80'ish miles.
I first drove to Manchester for a top up charge (13/16 amp).
I then set the SatNav for the Bradford address and was horrified to realize that it had retraced my steps by twenty miles and drawn up a route which took me up the M62, one of the highest and steepest motorway climbs in England.
I arrived in Bradford with 12 miles of range and three miles to my first destination.
I was relieved to pass the Asda (WallMart) Superstore with EV chargers on the way.
Having made my first stop I set back to the Superstore only to find out it had no chargers.

The duty manager checked around and gave me the post code of Asda Cemetery Road store which he said had chargers.

The post code he gave me was wrong and by the time that I had interrogated the "fortunately very friendly" populace of Bradford, I finally arrived with NO CHARGE left.

After over five hours of charging and with a seemingly full battery, I set off for home, time 1:45 a.m.

THIS NEXT BIT IS THE MEANINGFUL BIT.

Anyone who knows the M62 from Leeds to Liverpool, knows that it is a very steep descent to Manchester, and I hoped that I hadn't overcharged the I-MiEV otherwise it wouldn't regenerate optimally ; I shouldn't have worried, although it was downhill I had to drive all the way back, because of the strong wind and rain and the realization that the i-MiEV has the aerodynamics of a garden shed.

I got back into Liverpool with 7 miles range left and a predicted charge range of only 70 miles, which would have got me through the Mersey tunnel, but not quite home.

Suffice it to say that a kindly taxi driver took me to a gentleman's club whose owner ran an extension lead to my car and gave me enough charge to get home, I'm very glad I took my brick with me.

What I learnt ; DON'T base an extended journey on fast chargers (13/16 amps at 240 volts), ALWAYS base journey planning on worst case scenarios, NEVER undercharge for a journey, ENSURE that weather conditions enter into the equation, ALWAYS carry your brick.

And by extrapolation I cannot undertake extended journeys where there are no RAPID chargers.

I crawled into bed at 7 a.m. on Tuesday morning, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !

Although this experience is U.K. specific, I believe it may be of some help on the other side of the pond.

I would add to your lessons learnt - don't rely on a satnav to come up with the best route for you. It may be that your satnav is setup to work out the fastest route, whereas if I was planning a route with a satnav I would want it to give me the shortest route - as we know, speed is the enemy of range, and so a longer route that would be faster than a shorter route is doubly wrong!

Wulnoth said:
...What I learnt ; DON'T base an extended journey on fast chargers (13/16 amps at 240 volts), ALWAYS base journey planning on worst case scenarios, NEVER undercharge for a journey, ENSURE that weather conditions enter into the equation, ALWAYS carry your brick....
Wulnoth, good advice, as one merely needs to plan ahead and do the math. I don't have CHAdeMO yet have comfortably made a number of day trips over 150miles (240+km).

Rapid/CHAdeMO is the only thing that makes extended runs feesable in my opinion, it certainly makes them much less painful, but for what we call destination charging fast (13/16 amp at 240 volts) is O.K. , but not for weigh point charging.

I'm sorry if you don't have CHAdeMO at the moment JOES , do you mean your car or the infrastructure ?

Sorry I didn't mention it MISTERBLEEBY , you're quite right, I have my SatNav set to ask whether Shortest/Quickest/Tolls/Avoid motorways etc.

Wulnoth, it's my car that does not have CHAdeMO - the infrastructure around here has rapidly developed and there are now quite a few QuickCharge stations. Funny how our perspectives are different, as L2 charging using our 240vac (at 3kW) replenishes the battery at a 12-15miles/hour - usually more than adequate when visiting somewhere 50 miles away.

What a great story! It just shows what we are willing to put up with at the moment as early adopters. We need rapid chargers every 20 miles to change most people's likelihood of buying an EV.

Hi KPS70 , I've always thought that never being more than 25 miles from a Rapid charger was the ideal, but I certainly wouldn't argue with you.

Of course if one was 25 miles from Rapid chargers, it might mean they are 50 miles apart. :?

If anyone in the UK wants a Mennekes (61296-2) to 13A trailing socket suitable for charging the i-Miev (and its variants) from any public (or private) Mennekes equipped EVSE (charging point), such as PoPoint, ChargeMaster, Elektromotive etc, I can provide a suitable adaptor cable for £150. This would also work with other EVs such as the Vectrix, Twizy etc anything that has a charger cable terminated with a standard UK 13A (Type-G) 3-pin plug.

IMG_2281.jpg

Back